• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

nala's been electricuted! URGENT

sam and nala

Alpha Buck
i went in my room to cos i heard a strange bang and nala was darting round crazily and acting starange. then when i looked up she had managed to squeeze her way behind A cabnet which must weigh a tonne as its full of clothes and shes eaten a wire.

the wire was covered in like black stuff im presuming its caught fire or something as shes bitten it. she was in shock but has calmed right down now and is eating and drinking etc and looks fine

will she be fine tho? should i take her to vet?

ive checked her teeth there fine and as i said shes acting normal now that she is no longer in shock

what should i do?

Last edited:
I'm glad she's OK!

Perhaps ring an emergency vet? Keep an eye on her at least.

Possibly more important will be to switch off/isolate the electrics that she chewed and maybe get an electrician out to check things so that there is no potential for an electrical fire.

I'm glad she's OK!

Perhaps ring an emergency vet? Keep an eye on her at least.

Possibly more important will be to switch off/isolate the electrics that she chewed and maybe get an electrician out to check things so that there is no potential for an electrical fire.

shes sat with me and i have turned all the plug sockets off in that room?? is this what u mean by isolate?

Strawberry has chewed through an electric cable before and the system just shorted so I dont think he got shocked.

If she appears fine now I would just keep a close eye on her.

shes sat with me and i have turned all the plug sockets off in that room?? is this what u mean by isolate?
I'm not sure what she chewed, but if it was just something like the cord to the TV then yes, unplugging the rest of the wire, turning it off at the wall and not using it should be OK.

If the wire is actually part of your electricity circuit you may need to speak to an electrician.

Just to be clear - make sure the wire she bit is unplugged from the socket. It needs to be repaired properly by a qualified electrician or someone who's good at DIY.
I remember a story a while back of a bun who chewed a cord and burnt out an entire home!
Good to hear Nala is ok :) but keep an eye just in case.

Hoping Nala is ok today?

The black you see would have been soot from where the electrics shorted out...it would have cut out on the trip I expect, no fire, so don't worry. Any electrics not in use...if you switch them off at the wall socket yes that isolates them.

Please don't use that cable again - if you touch the bare wire whilst it is plugged in and on you will get a shock off a live mains. It needs to be repaired properly.
It happened to us but fortunately I had isolated the hoover at the wall point before I left the room, if I hadn't I'd have been faced with what you were! :shock: It must have been an awful shock for you :( ...I hope you had a nice sweet cup of tea afterwards and that Nala is fine today. Good strong heart she has! :D

Jaki chewed through my laptop wire, don't know how she never got a shock. I kept using it for a wee while til one day I moved it a bit and it sparked at me :?
She has also chewed through 2 broadband wires :evil: Cost me a tenner each time to replace them!! But she appears to have no side affects from her crazy chewing habits.

Hope Nala is ok now, she must have got some fright x

Jaki chewed through my laptop wire, don't know how she never got a shock. I kept using it for a wee while til one day I moved it a bit and it sparked at me :?
She has also chewed through 2 broadband wires :evil: Cost me a tenner each time to replace them!! But she appears to have no side affects from her crazy chewing habits.

Hope Nala is ok now, she must have got some fright x

If the laptop wire was the side of the power supply the current has been converted down for the laptop and is too low voltage to give a shock - probably just a tingle. Same with network cables - actually not sure network cables even carry a charge? Not sure they do.
The ones to worry about are mains cables coming directly from the mains sockets without a converter that alters the type and strength of current.

If the laptop wire was the side of the power supply the current has been converted down for the laptop and is too low voltage to give a shock - probably just a tingle. Same with network cables - actually not sure network cables even carry a charge? Not sure they do.
The ones to worry about are mains cables coming directly from the mains sockets without a converter that alters the type and strength of current.

Oh that's good to know!! Every other socket is covered so she can't get near them. Just have to figure out where to buy a new laptop charger from, its murder not having access to my own laptop :( x

Back