• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I could cry - stasis again U/P pooooooo

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
Well it's been just over two weeks to the day since Honey's last bout of stasis now she seems to have it again. Roly was thumping his feet this morning when I went out to give them their breakfast and Honey refused hers.

I have taken her inside, given her pineapple juice, infacol and metacam but she still isn't interested in food. She's sitting upright in her carrier and doesn't feel as bloaty as last time but I am worried. Do stasis rabbits usually get bouts within a mere two weeks of each other?

I don't know if I should take her back to the vet we were at last time who recommended a risky operation when the opinion on here was that it'd do more harm than good.

I don't know what could be scaring the two of them, there was no odd noises this morning (roadworks or the like). I gutted their hutch yesterday and put new hay etc in.

Honey last ate something for definate at 2am this morning. I couldn't sleep and so went out o see them and brought a great big spring green leaf out so she ate half of that.

I really could tear me hair out.:cry:

Last edited:
Well it's been just over two weeks to the day since Honey's last bout of stasis now she seems to have it again. Roly was thumping his feet this morning when I went out to give them their breakfast and Honey refused hers.

I have taken her inside, given her pineapple juice, infacol and metacam but she still isn't interested in food. She's sitting upright in her carrier and doesn't feel as bloaty as last time but I am worried. Do stasis rabbits usually get bouts within a mere two weeks of each other?

I don't know if I should take her back to the vet we were at last time who recommended a risky operation when the opinion on here was that it'd do more harm than good.

I don't know what could be scaring the two of them, there was no odd noises this morning (roadworks or the like). I gutted their hutch yesterday and put new hay etc in.

Honey last ate something for definate at 2am this morning. I couldn't sleep and so went out o see them and brought a great big spring green leaf out so she ate half of that.

I really could tear me hair out.:cry:

I'm so sorry to hear this. :(

I personally believe that it is very likely that this episode is just a continuation of the last one, and that she has a persistent ileus. My bunny savvy vet has told me that ileus can persist for several weeks after an episode of stasis/bloat. I have certainly experienced this myself several times despite paying lots of attention to encouraging eating for several weeks after the last episode. Sometimes despite all your best efforts, there is nothing you can do to prevent these episodes. For this reason, in my stasis prone bun, we continue gut motility treatment for up to 4 days after bunny is better and has normal poo output and appetite. This is usually enough to kick start the neurological input to the GI tract. I often feed a lot more expensive Oat hay and other fibrous material during the recovery phase as well to really get gi motility back up to speed.

I do think that if your home meds give no improvement in the next few hours that you will need to see a vet today for some supportive fluids and perhaps an opiate pain relief to give her a good opportunity to recover quickly. You do not have to consent to any surgery, certainly not so early on in an episode that it likely to be related to the previous one. Provided on examination there are no sinister symptoms I would proceed just as you did last time. Good luck, thinking of you today and lots of vibes for Honey :)

I would not give her any more Pineapple Juice as the sugars in it will exacerbate a gut problem

Cooled boiled water/herbal tea would be better to hydrate her.

Has she poo'd overnight ?

I could be wrong but I think she has just pooed just now. She was lifting her tail up and when she moved there was a wee pile of fresh looking poo though I know both of hem have been pooing in the floor of the hutch this stuff looked a bit more wet (not overly wet) and Roly is outside the hutch just now and hasn't been in it for at least an hour. Not sure how long poo stays "fresh looking".

I gave her belly a massage and it definately doesn't feel as gassy or bloated as last time. She has a bowl of cooled peppermint tea in with her and I've syringed her a bit of that.

I really want to bring her indoors as it's a bit warmer but she hates being in the house. Even when she's well she just tends to sit quiet in a corner. She's in the sheltered bit of the hutch just now with her snugglesafe and a bowl of herbs. I'll give her til three or so and if she's not improved I'll take her back up to the vet.:cry:

I think we continued the meds we were given last time for about 2-3 days after she was allowed home.

I think we continued the meds we were given last time for about 2-3 days after she was allowed home.

But was she back to normal at this point? or just improved? We do, at our vets advice, 4 days AFTER bun is back to normal. It may not have been long enough to kick start a sluggish gut which is neurologically prone to ileus. :?

I agree re. pineapple juice, I never use it. Herbal tea is the way to go...:)
Good luck x

But was she back to normal at this point? or just improved? We do, at our vets advice, 4 days AFTER bun is back to normal. It may not have been long enough to kick start a sluggish gut which is neurologically prone to ileus. :?

We got her back on Thursday and I think it was Saturday before she started looking normal again (I went and asked for metacam and fibreplex on Friday and began teating her with that as well).

By Sunday she was back to her usual self pretty much and so we gave her the doses for then and that was it. The vet advised us to keep her going on the meds for three days after we got her home which is what we did. Looks like we were advised wrongly.

We got her back on Thursday and I think it was Saturday before she started looking normal again (I went and asked for metacam and fibreplex on Friday and began teating her with that as well).

By Sunday she was back to her usual self pretty much and so we gave her the doses for then and that was it. The vet advised us to keep her going on the meds for three days after we got her home which is what we did. Looks like we were advised wrongly.

No not wrongly. This is I believe normal protocol for 'one-off' stasis buns and is enough for our bun Poppy usually if she gets a bit of stasis or ileus. But in our 'prone' rabbit Nino we have to do the 4 days otherwise it always comes back again. :( Our vet will give different advice to different cases. I hope that this time your vets will be a little more pro-active (but not in the surgery sense unless vital).

ETA please let us know how she is later on today when you can... will be thinking of you both.

Just off the phone to the vet and he'll see her just after 2pm. It's not the same vet as the one we had before so hopefully we'll get on a bit better.

Oh No :(

I hope you get on ok at the vet. If you think it will help, i have some sachets of bio-lapis. I was giving it mixed into water and syringe food when Flynn was poorly. Your more than welcome to them if you want?

That's us back home now. The vet says she doesn't look too bad, her guts don't feel gassy or doughy so we're back on the metaclop, zantac, fibreplex and metacam.

She's looking a bit brighter now and she was given a metaclop injection while we were there. When we got back she started nibbling on some spring greens that were in her carrier so hopefully this time things won't be as bad.

Thanks for the offer Shazzabun, we still have the critical care so I'll give her a bit of that later as well.

Another £96 on the running total of what this bunny has cost. I'm convinced that she's actually going out to get drunk every Friday/aturday and that's why she always gets ill at weekends.:shock:

Hopefully this time she wont be ill for as long. You must be at your wits end with worry and stress! I hope she recovers quickly.

If you change your mind about the pro biotics give me a shout :).

Will do, thank you very much for the offer.

Honey's hopping about the hutch a bit now. She keeps going down to th bottom bit which is where they normally do the toilet so hopefully she is pooing. I have seen her sitting on the litter trays but don't want to disturb her too much by looking.

Hopefully this time she wont be ill for as long. You must be at your wits end with worry and stress! I hope she recovers quickly.

If you change your mind about the pro biotics give me a shout :).

Rudy had 2 episodes of bloat only a month apart in March and April. *touches wood* he's been okay since. He did have a patch of looking unhappy a couple of weeks ago and I chased him round a bit, intended to give him some Metacam but he brightened up really quickly. Artie also had a couple of episodes 3 weeks apart and the second was really mild in comparison to the first - he started eating the moment he got back from vets on the second occasion (having had metaclopromide and metacam).

As some of the others have said, it might be a continuation of the last episode... so hopefully, she will recover quickly and it will stay away :D Sending vibes that this does happen.

You poor thing. What a nightmare. :(

Not sure if I told you my story with my bunnies or not, but it's in this thread here:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=197102

Fingers and paws crossed that this is a minor bout this time. x

Thank you for the link Sarah, I have a good read through it with interest. I'm not sure if this could be the problem given Roly has never had this problem nor really any other. Do you think it could only affect Honey and not Roly given they live in the same hutch etc?:shock:

I'm mixing up a wee bit critical care just now though having a few problems working out how to do so.

Difficult to know really. With mine, they were obviously related (I didn't know for sure, but they were nearly identical), so the disease affected them in exactly the same way.

It might not be this at all, but it's something to bear in mind anyway.

I've fed Honey a bit of critical care along with fibreplex and the first dose of Zantac. She had an injection of metaclop at the vet and is back in her hutch at the moment.

I cleared out all of the litter trays and added fresh litter, I also lockedRoly out of the hutch so any poo that appeared had to be Honeys.

In the litter tray there are three normal looking poos, not a great deal but hay it's a start (see at I did there?) She's nibbled a bit of curly kale and some hay as well. I'll leave her alone for the next wee while and see if she uses the facilities again. At the moment she's grooming herself.

When I left she was running around, eating and pooing as normal. You'd never have known she'd had anything wrong with her earlier in the day. I'll go back soon and give her her medicine and see how she is then but she's perked up a heck of a lot more than she did the last time.:D

Back