• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

out door run advice!

NicNic

New Kit
Hi, i have 2 6mth old male rabbits 1 lionhead (Dec) and a netherland (Ant), they are inseprable and love each other to bits.

At night they are put into a 6ft hutch in a concrete shed which i am in the process of insulating for winter...............how ever in the day they are put into a two story hutch, bottom section directly onto grass which then opens out into a 6ft run onto grass.

My question is.........is it ok for Ant n Dec to be on the grass in the winter?
Should i cover the run with waterproof matrial?

they always poo in one corner of the run (no where else, i do move the out door living around the garden, so i have patches all over the garden where there business has ruined the grass!) any sugestions on that would be fab!

I have thought about adapting the concrete shed into a run for them just over the bad weather?

Any advice would be gratefull

sorry to go on a bit! :)

I dont know much about outdoor rabbits but I'll put in my 5p's worth since no-one else has and maybe it'll help you...

My question is.........is it ok for Ant n Dec to be on the grass in the winter?
As I understand it, the problem is the damp rather than the cold, but they do have a choice to go into the hutch if they dont like it. Not that rabbits always know what's good for them ;)

Should i cover the run with waterproof material?
Well they do have the hutch to go into if it's raining - but rabbits arent always sensible.... so if it were me I'd have part of the run covered so they can be outside but still a bit sheltered.

they always poo in one corner of the run (no where else, i do move the out door living around the garden, so i have patches all over the garden where there business has ruined the grass!) any sugestions on that would be fab!
Get them used to using a litter tray and put that in that corner of the run? You'd need that corner to be covered so rain doesnt go directly in it. Or you could use a plastic pet carrier - one with a solid top - as the litter tray.

Thank you for your advice.....i was starting to get paranoid as no one had replyed :cry:.......but then again i did post it under the wrong heading!!

I had put a litter tray in the corner of the run....but Ant is a little toad and up turned it all over the grass!.......they do use one in the main hutch at night. I've solved my problem and adapted the stone shed there in at night time into a day time run.....so i think were prepared for what ever weather is thrown at us :)

Many thanks

my floppy has a litter tray with hay in it one corner of his run, always leave some previous poo in there when you clean it, i've found it helps with floppy ;) As long as they have a shelter off the floor to go into they should be ok with the rain or cold, i would also think about buying some heat pads, if you have a blanket over the top and some waterproofing with lots of hay in the hutch, hay is an insulator they should be fine ;)

Back