• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Being neutered

Doddy

Alpha Buck
My boys are going in for deplumming on mon. They will be staying at the vets till tues. Should i still keep them inside when they do come home?
I have read that you don't put hay in their beds for a while....is this the case?

What should i put in the base of their bed while they are recovering? I use barley straw, so it's not fine...does this make any difference?

TIA

My boys are house bunnies anyway so cant help you with that part but when they were done I put nice soft towels down for them to lie on. Hay or shavings could irritate or scratch their wound. They had the towels for about 5 days to give their wound a chance to heal.

Buns lose body heat when under GA due to the slowing of their metabolism, so can find it hard to maintain body temp after an op. I would be tempted to keep them inside for a couple of days, especially since it is getting noticeably colder now.

Yep, agree with LMc that you would be better off bedding on towels/blankets to avoid irritation to the wound.

Other than that, ensuring that the vets give adequate pain relief is really important. You will probably be given some metacam that should be given orally (syringe fed) once a day for a few days after the op. This pain relief will help increase your rabbits appetite. Not sure if your vets have mentioned this, but it is a good idea to take a packed lunch of your buns favourite foods along to the vets (as long as they are ok with this), so that they can tempt your buns to eat as soon as possible after the op. Herbs and dandelions generally work well.

Good luck for tomorrow, sending vibes for a speedy recovery for your boys! :)

Hi, When I had my 2 boys neutered I used kitchen roll for a few days or anything that is not dusty.
Also check that he doesn't disturb the wound they usually use glue to seal the wound together and boy rabbits recover quicker then females.
The most important thing is to make sure that he begins to eat and poo normally within 12 hours after the operation.

Thanks for your replies.
They will be staying in over night to make sure they are peeing and pooing, so hopefully i won't habe that side of things to worry about.

I am having two done...will they be able to stay in the same cage when they come home? Or should i seperate...i am hoping they stay together...i only have one cage!!!

I will have to have a look for some spare towels/bedding!!

Back