• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bitten :(

Hart

Young Bun
This evening my boy bun Taco bit me :( he has nipped me once or twice before but this was an aggressive attack. He's taken a chunk out of my hand.

Now I know all about the lunging if hand infront of face and so on so forth, so I'm always careful to have my hand above him. I was stroking him on the head, and then bam, he got me.
I have never been cruel or unkind to him in any way at all. I give him cuddles, and stroke him on the head all the time. We had a long cuddle earlier today. So I don't understand why he did this.
I suffer from mental health issues, so this has pretty much broken my heart tonight :cry:

This biting isn't going to be a common occurrence is it? He's not been neutered yet, and is due to be in a couple weeks.

I hope your tetanus jab is up to date. You may also need to see your GP for antibiotics. I'm sorry this happened to you, but you are not the only one. :) I'm sure your bunster didn't mean to hurt you. I promise his behaviour will improve a lot once he's neutered.

it may well be hormones and should settle after neutering this can take a lil while just be patient with him :) try not to show your nervous too they sense it, just give him space for now let him come to you for fusses, bunnies like to be able to see they have a blind spot above/front so he may just not have seen your hand :)

it may well be hormones and should settle after neutering this can take a lil while just be patient with him :) try not to show your nervous too they sense it, just give him space for now let him come to you for fusses, bunnies like to be able to see they have a blind spot above/front so he may just not have seen your hand :)

I've never been nervous with him :( and he knew my hand was there because I was stroking him for a minute or so before he attacked.

He was a rescue bun, nothing known about him but I've found he has scars either side of his head as if he's had an animals jaws round his head.
He can be grumpy, nervous and a bit defensive so I'm always very careful and calm with him :(

Don't take it as a reflection on your. Rabbits have trouble communicating and something that we'd just explain with words they say with their teeth. They are also used to companions with a thick layer of fur padding so a gentle nip to a rabbit does a lot more damage to human bare skin.

Some rabbits nip to tell you off if you aren't stroking quick enough

Or you may have just startled him. Perhaps he was dosing off and not paying attention. Rabbits have eyes at the side so it's more of a side than a top approach that is best.

Hormones definitely make them more high strung so neutering will help.

If it happens again or you notice and other odd behaviour I would get him vet checked to make sure there isn't a physical problem eg sore ears that could have provoked it.

Sounds like he's had a rough life. He may always be a little jumpy if he was injured on his head. :( But rabbits always improve when they're neutered and he's got a good life now. Hopefully, in time, he'll learn that you're never going to hurt him and will be more comfortable with you.

My rabbit, Snowdrop, became a nightmare overnight. She needed spayed, but at the time i never realised this.

She would attack my hands, growl at me all the time, and as for lifting her...I was actually scared. Was at the end of my tether.

I joined this forum and learned so much. I got her spayed and she is now a different girl. So gentle and placid. Loves her nose rubs and can pick her up no problem. :D

I wouldn't worry too much, i'm guessing once he is neutered he will settle down.

My rabbit Jack did the same the other day. I had the smell of Timothy and Ben (my other 2 buns) on my hands so he probably just freaked out when he smelled my hand. he's done that before though when i didnt have any scent on my hand, I blame it on either cage aggression or not being neutered. but pretty soon he'll be a neutered free range bun and hopefully won't nip anymore. until you get yours neutered i'd just continue to be careful when petting him and watch his body lang. I can usually tell with jack when he's about to bite.

Back