• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

2 week old baby with swollen genitals

Kate82

Young Bun
Hi, i'm not sure what to do..2 out of 9 babies have swollen genitals.. what am i suppose to do?? is it because the mum isnt cleaning them... i had a rabbit die from 'bloat' not so long ago and i dont want the same thing happening again. Both of them are very swollen and there is yellow pus. thanks kate

Please phone your vets immediately. They probably need to be examined ASAP by a professional. Swollen genitals can mean myximatosis.

Yes, they definitely need a vet ASAP. There may be little they can do on a kit so young but it would be better than them suffering without seeing a vet.

Please let us know how you get on.

Please phone your vets asap. They'll need to be examined by a professional. Swollen genitals can mean myximatosis, my bunny's just caught myxi, luckily she's been vaccinated. Get them to a good bunny vet. Also, could be that mum isn't cleaing them properly. I'm sure all will be fine! Good luck. Keep us informed x

Last edited:
I would give the vet a call and explain the age and the symptoms. They'll let you know where to go from there. It might be they suggest just cleaning them with salt water for now and monitoring it as they are so young.

I'm not sure about myxi if that's the only symptoms and mum is well.

a couple of our babies had this and we spoke to the vet and it was just where mummy was not cleaning them enough, we bathed their bums twice a day and it cleared up.

i've been cleaning its bum prob about 4 times a day, nothing has changed. although i have noticed that it has a huge lump by its chin. it is the runt of the litter. this is the mums second litter, she had 8 the first time, 2 were dead on arrival another which was the runt died of bloat. she's had 9 this time and all are still here.

i'm wondering whether 9 has been too many for her to look after and she hasnt been cleaning it.. i've read up about mxyi and swollen genitals is a symptom but wouldn't all 9 be infected and the mum too??

Did you ring the vet as advised??

They would have been able to give you more specific advice and noted down when it started etc.......

I dont mean to sound annoyed but you shouldnt ignore advice to call the vet. Even the babies have feeling.

Perhaps take a pic of what the genetals look like so you can use that for camparison reguardless of what the vet says (for your own piece of mind)

If they are large and red, please call the vet, they may even send someone out to look due to the age of the babies, it is hard for us to advise you when we cant see (if you know what I mean)

Myxi doesnt have to have affected everyone. The babies that are ill could be immune-comprimised, a bit weaker and thus more suseptible (cant spell) :?

Good luck

Let us know what the vet says.

i have spoke to the vet and she said if i took it away from the nest the mum is going to neglect it. i will ring again.

how would it catch myxi - im quite stressed about it. my rabbits are kept in hutchs inside a shed, they have no contact with wild rabbits.

Last edited:
can i ask, what were the symptoms?

Baby Frosty got swollen genitals when he was a bub.
I panicked, as myxomatosis can rear it's ugly head with the sign of swollen genitals :cry:
I rushed him to the vets where they said it was most likely to be a bite wound.
Mummy Angel was being a little rough as she was pregnant again and was getting stropey with him.
He was given some Painrelief and Antibiotics.
Please contact your vet first though:)

im going to, its stressful..i could call the vets my second home the amount of money my rabbits are costing. abscesses, tear ducts needing flushing, all sorts.

my boyfriend says people think im an idiot for having rabbits so its annoying me even more

You're definately not an idiot Kate this just shows that you are a loving caring person and you take their responsibilty you have for your pets very seriously indeed. If everyone were like you it'd be a far better world for pets in any case so don't listen to anyone saying you're doing the wrong thing.

can i ask, what were the symptoms?

It is spread by direct contact and by insects. Fluids from a infected rabbit such as discharge from the eyes, nose or lesions on the skin contain the virus and can infect another rabbits through scratches, abrasions or contact with mucus membranes. Insects including mosquitoes, ticks, mites, lice and fleas can all carry the disease. This means that even if your rabbit doesn't come into contact with other rabbits it is still important to vaccinate. Insect carriers mean the disease can be transmitted over distances and even indoor rabbits are at risk. The first symptoms are generally discharge from the eyes and swelling around head, ears and sometimes genitals. Within a fews days the eyes maybe swollen shut. The swelling can make eating, drinking and breathing difficult. Lumps or nodules may also develop. Secondary infections such as pastrella (snuffles) are common. Death can occur within a few days to several weeks. Those that recover may take weeks or even months to do so fully. Rabbits can be vaccinated against Myxomatosis from 6 weeks of age. Rabbits should not be vaccinated while pregnant or ill. After the firsit vaccination regular boosters are required. Boosters are given either every 12 months or every 6 months, depending on the risk in your local area. Vaccination does not guarantee that a rabbit will not contract myxomatosis, there is still a small risk. Vaccinated rabbits contracting myxomatosis also have a greater chance of recovery. For the vaccination to be effective it needs to be given partly into the skin and partly under the skin. Ask your vet to confirm that this is the procedure they will follow when vaccinating your rabbit. If they query this, ask them to check with the vaccine manufacturers Intervet. If the vaccination is given incorrectly then it may need to be repeated. For the vaccination to be effective it needs to be given partly into the skin and partly under the skin. Ask your vet to confirm that this is the procedure they will follow when vaccinating your rabbit. If they query this, ask them to check with the vaccine manufacturers Intervet. If the vaccination is given incorrectly then it may need to be repeated. Prompt treatment is important. Whilst there isn't an actual cure for Myxomatosis supportive treatment can allow the rabbit to fight the infection and stand a chance of survival. Treatment may include frequent cleaning of the eyes and other discharge, force feeding (if the rabbit stops eating), fluids and anti-biotics to prevent secondary infections. If you believe your rabbit is suffering then choosing to put your rabbit to sleep may be the kindest action to take. Your vet should talk through treatment options and likely hood of survival with you and will advise you on the best course of action. Hope this helps x

im going to, its stressful..i could call the vets my second home the amount of money my rabbits are costing. abscesses, tear ducts needing flushing, all sorts.

my boyfriend says people think im an idiot for having rabbits so its annoying me even more

You are so not an idiot. You just love your rabbits like we all do. My 2 have cost me a small fortune recently! Having pet insurance helps! Do you have pet insurance?

Last edited:
no i dont have pet insurance for the rabbits. i've taken it to the vets, its an abscess. the vet popped it and it has already decreased in size. he's going to be on baytril for 2 weeks.

Back