• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Health Insurance

Margret

Warren Scout
Thinking about insuring Nala for vet costs. Can anyone reccomend a good insurance company. Does anyone also know anything about My Vet Group Pet Health Club? I have a leaflet, but don't know anyone who uses this.
Thanks

I recently got my 2 buns insured with Pet Plan. I did a lots of searching on the internet and asked our insurance broker for a quote - there are only a few companies that do rabbit insurance. I went for Pet Plan in the end - I hope I never have to use it!;)

Everyone seems to be going for pet plan. The brochure my vet gave me is called MY Vet Pet Health Club. They do Cats, Dogs and Rabbits with different plans. The Standard one for a rabbit is £14.85p a month. Fo this you would get Free drugs,operations and necessary hospitisation necessary for any illness or accident. 1 years flea treatments, 1 years worm treatments and vaccination boosters with health check Rabbit would also receive annual Rearguard....I thought this quite good, but don't know anyone who has used it. Have just signed up for my cat....oh sorry, and the excess is £40. I have always been with Pet Plan for the cat...thankfully never had to use it, but their excess had risen also was having to pay £18.97 a month. I know there are only a few companies that do for rabbits.

there used to be one you got form your vet years ago....it was so cheap compared to bloomin pet plan and was a life saver.

i have been with pet plan as the other one was exotics something...and didnt cover lifetime of the illness with the lifetime of the bunny...thats where it gets tricky..if a bun has probelm that is long going and reoccurring..like an abscess or kidney problems or berties case..a corneal ulcer...you need cover for it the hwole time he has it..not oh yes this myuch this year..you cant claim anymore. etc.

its soooo misleading the small print and wording its awful......i have the cats with them purely cos i know the smal print meant a kidney prob would always be covered not just for the first bout of the illness..and tabby had kinedy disease and faiure....salems already got a heart murmur so he isnt ocvered for that.....but hey.

i wished i oculd say id had notning but praise for petplan..i did till now..see my thread in chat:(

I have been looking at insurance too but at £9.58 a month for petplan which is the only company I found I felt I could trust I felt it too expensive. I decided just to put away money every month so I can pay up front if little Radish has any issues.

I know what you guys are saying....
but the cost of getting a lump removed from Smudge and analysed was over £150.
he had skin cancer (incredibly rare in rabbits) and we were advised to have chest x rays to determine how far it had spread so that he could be treated appropriately if it ever spread.
he died a few weeks later.
If I had had insurance it would have been covered.

I think it's ridiculous the amount they want to charge for a rabbit! All the plans I've looked at are the same for a cat or dog.They assume they are outdoors ,so count theft etc in the policy.I've not bothered,as they don't include jabs speying,neutering etc..Rip off!:evil:

Rabbit Insurance

This health club that I have enrolled at through vets practice does cover boosters, drugs operations etc, so for me it seems the best option. Its ok saying put some money past every week/month but you don't always do it.
Hopefully I will just need to use it for the routine things, but best to be on the safe side. I asked about it on the forum as I have never seen it mentioned.

Back