• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

unusual shaped rabbit droppings.

Mel D

Warren Scout
Hi, My rabbit Fudge has been doing odd shaped poos they are not round or oval they are like nik nak crisps/twiglet shaped.
Has anyone got any idea why this is happening or has anyones rabbit done this.
I know that he has possibly got E C and I am treating him with Panacur, so I don't know whether it is the panacur doing this.
Thanks in advance

Hi, My rabbit Fudge has been doing odd shaped poos they are not round or oval they are like nik nak crisps/twiglet shaped.
Has anyone got any idea why this is happening or has anyones rabbit done this.
I know that he has possibly got E C and I am treating him with Panacur, so I don't know whether it is the panacur doing this.
Thanks in advance

This is usually a sign of gut slow down. I would encourage him to eat lots of fibre tonight - hay/grass or some fibrous weeds/leaves and would also encourage some fluids - whether you offer washed leaves still wet or attempt a few mls of oral fluids (very slowly - brewed and cooled herbal tea works very well - fennel/nettle/peppermint etc). Are they strung with fur? If droppings stop altogether and bun refuses food then emergency vet as i'm sure you know. Hopefully some fibre and fluids will get it all going again. If in doubt, call the vet or pop him along first thing (unless he deteriorates in the night of course).

Hi, Thanks for your reply we have probably met at P A H in Titchfield I am always there with the Bunnys,We will do what we can for him I will go outside and get some grass/ Dandelion leaves now but he can't eat hay because he doesn't have any front teeth.

Hi, Thanks for your reply we have probably met at P A H in Titchfield I am always there with the Bunnys,We will do what we can for him I will go outside and get some grass/ Dandelion leaves now but he can't eat hay because he doesn't have any front teeth.

My new toothless boy eats hay.....not very much mind you, but he does manage!

I don't know why he cannot pick the hay up I buy all the different types of hay and cut it up for him but it falls out of his mouth.
He can eat apple,cauliflower,broccoli though.

Hi, I have given Fudge loads of Dandelion leaves last night, but no poos in toilet this morning, have given more Dandelions and a few pellets,he did a couple of stoggy ones late morning but still hasn't past many.
I can't understand it,he is eating not drinking much but not pooing, he's seems otherwise ok apart from his back legs.
Has anyone got anymore ideas what else I can feed him?
I know that the vet said that he's only got another 2weeks to live because of ec but I want to prolong his life as much as I can.:cry:

Sorry to hear about Smudge and his EC. Hope his poos are now better? You must be local to me too as I am near Titchfield PAH :wave:

Back