• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezy rabbit

Beliatilo

New Kit
My rabbit Dingo sneezes quite a lot - sometimes lots of little sneezes in quick succession. There's no discharge around his nose or paws, although his nose is slightly damp, but not unusually so.

Could it be an allergy or an infection? He's due to be neutered on Friday but if he does have something that needs treating I'm worried that needs to be addressed first. I'm just about to call the vets, but I value your opinions!

Hi - what bedding do you use? I cover the bottom of my bun's cage with newspaper and wood shavings, and I've noticed recently that he sneezes a bit when the wood shavings are first put in, so I'm going to switch bedding when I find a suitable replacement.

He could even have a wee hay allergy if the hay you use has an excess amount of dust in it. What type is the hay?

If he's an indoor bun there could be other things around that might irritate him, silly things like hairspray or normal house dust or even those scented bathroom sprays. If he's outdoor, it could be a million different things! If he's showing no other symptoms then I would tend to think it's a slight allergic reaction to his environment. You might have to experiment with a few things to find out the cause.

If he's being neutered soon the vet will no doubt check him over for any illness before they aneasthetise him.

Hope he's ok!!

Mischa tends to sneeze form time to time, not loads but in spurts. Vet said he was probably reacting to dust in something.

My rabbit was sneezing lots and only had a clear runny nose. I took him to the vets and they tried 2 different lots of anitbiotics. In the end she concluded that he was most likely allergic to the wood shavings. I took them out and he didnt sneeze half as much. He still does get sneezes from time to time but i put that down to dust.

Really sounds like snuffles to me.My 2 Nethie bunnies have had this.
Hope you get Bun sorted.xxxxxx

Jimby sneeze sometimes and it can be quite a few one after the other.
I was told that it is usually an allergic reaction, it can sometimes occure when at the beginning or the end of a bag of hay as the dust has not settled.
I would not worry unduley if there is no nasal discharge, eye redness or drips, eating, drinking and pooping as normal.
He is an indoor or outdoor bun? Jims is an indoor boy :wave:

Hi - he's a 90% indoor rabbit, and I use newspaper for his cage and wood pellets for his litter. He has fresh timothy hay every day. He does go outside most days for a few hours and has a hutch with sawdust in, for when we're at work. But he hasn't been outside today so it's unlikely to be sawdust. He tends not to sneeze when he's in his cage, so perhaps it's something outside the cage like dust. I just checked his nose again - a little bit damp but it's not thick or discoloured. He hasn't sneezed for a few hours, either.

I called the vets and Dingo is going to be checked over before we go ahead with the op - although I really hope everything's okay because I'm getting sprayed almost every day at the moment and my washing machine can't keep up!

Thanks so much for replying.

I would advise you to get a swab done for culture and sensitivity before having the op, maybe even postpone it as if their is infection present this could increase the anaesthetic risk xx

Back