• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Soft poo

bunnyblue

New Kit
I have a two year old bunny who for about the last six months has been has having soft poo stuck to her bottom . she has been to the vets and is on a diet , due to being over weight. I give her a small bit of food every day and straw/hay and have cut back on fruit/veg but cant seem to get her regular for long. I wash her regular esp as she caught flystrike during the summer , she is a house bun but i let her have loose in the garden , well did untill she got flystrike , worried she will get it again the way she is ,any help/advice ?

What pellet food is she on and how much per day? How much hay doe she have? Straw isn't good for them so please don't give her that anymore.

If she's overweight then it might be that she's finding it hard to reach round and eat her caecotrophs and clean up her bottom?

The vet told me to give her straw as well as hay . I have just put her on meadow hay straw from wilkos she seems to eating that a lot and am using wilkos rabbit orginal mix 50 grms per day , or some from the market .should i just be using pellets ? I got some for her once and she never ate them . She has lost a lot of weight lately and isnt as big. Thank you for replying

Sorry to hear your bun is having poop problems - they are quite common and are often rectified by diet.

The most important part of any rabbits diet is hay, it should made up of 90% of the diet - it contains much fibre which keeps everything moving as it should as well as keeping them busy eating it and wearing down their teeth as it is ground up in their mouths. The other 10% of the diet can be made up with a good high fibre pellet (most people recommend Science Selective which is high fibre and the buns seem to love it - its not so readily available as some but you will find it, you could check for a stockist near you online) and a little veg. I would not feed straw of any kind. I don't know if there is some confusion here so will clarify that hay is grass that has been harvested and dried, straw is the stalk of Oats, Barley or Wheat, a byproduct of the cereal industry which is used as bedding - sorry if this sounds rude but I know a lot of people who don't know the difference!

All changes to diet should be made very gradually over a 10 day to 2 week period.

If your bun has soft poos I would suggest withdrawing all food other than hay for a few days (keep water always available) and you will probably find it clears up. Now you can slowly reintroduce a tiny amount of her usual mix. I would aim though to start to wean her on to a good pellet (I would avoid Excell as many people find it can produce soft poos so not good in this case) maybe offer a couple before any other food is offered or just pop a few in with her mix and gradually increase the amount of pellets and reduce the mix ALTHOUGH in total she will only need a teaspoon full of pellets - remember her diet needs to be 90% hay.

When reintroducing vegetables I would do this very slowly, one veg at a time giving that same veg only for a few days and gauging tummy reactions as some buns are sensitive to certain veg. I would cut out any sugary veg such as carrot or any fruit (apple, grape etc) as this can easily upset the digestive system and should be kept as an occasional treat - mine have an inch piece of carrot one a week for example. If she is used to grass then thats fine but do consider what else she may be eating in the garden if she is freeranging.

I know the misery of flystrike and it is a real concern, you might concider protecting her with Rearguard or similar.

I hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

:wave: hi there..i have a bun whos had a dicky tummy since i got her 3yrs ago.

I changed foods over...i found excel and science selective gives terrible bum problems for her..i was advised to only feed pellets not mixes as the stuff in the mixes makes them fat and they select the bits they like and leave the essential other bits. hence the term..selective feeders/feeding!

I have mine on allen and page natural pellets but our little bun upstairs came to us from the rescue on wagg premium pellets which they sell in asda as well as pet stores. He seems to be fine on it.

The hay is the most important....i know its really expemsive to fork out for but some decent hay rather the dry tasteless pet store stuff is worht it in the end to make her eat loads more hay.
i have tried everything i can think of and my two downstairs have finaly settled on the stalky meadow hay from the dust free hay company...i buy it cos i have hayfever dont laff...and i needed something i could handle giving them and having in the house.

ooh my buns had to stop going outside cos of runny bums..its cos of the grass...i kept them in...and have only just asked for advice and told to feed them grass daily and let them out a little at a time....yeah tell bif that!!:lol:

try shopping on the hay experts site...you can order a mix of sample bags to see which type of hay she really goes nuts for.

also i have to stop food for a few days with bif.....and i have lessened the amount of pelelts..bearing in mind her hubby is a frenchie:shock:
veggies n fruit are a no go for either of them anymore..but they do fine on fresh mint and fresh fennel occasionally and coriander ocasionally.

fresh mint daily combined with a course of bio lapis powder. when bif was at her worst the vet said to keep her on a sachet a day for 3 weeks in a row..and up the hay content. Now we know by chance when a vet decided to do a conscious dental that her lower jaw recedes too far back. so shes a tubby bun but the vet said she can clean herself and she knows shes on a good diet....she just doesnt move very much cos her hubby doesnt...he zzzzzzzzzz for britain.

also our vet said we help her when we give her a paste for the whole tube of a probiotic carrot flavoured paste which is also full of fibre..its called protexin FIBREPLEX.

its amazing stuff.she gets a dicky tummy she has a ocurse of it shes fine and pooping for britain normally.

you can get both form the vet or via the internet....we have gone through tubes last few months..and whenver bif needs another dental....if her proper poos are teenier than usual or much much fewer.
shes on a tube today....her tummy has been awful....before that its been berties tummy from pain in his chin.

i would deffo keep her in if shes dirty like tha..even when you bathe and dry her shell be smelly and damp and perfect for flies.
i have never used rearguard or anything but will invest in some now.

i hope oyu can help ehr tummy to get better..and i will warn you its a long smelly process......;)

Thank you both for your advice :D , i have cleaned her out this mor and will just give her hay for the next few days .i have ordered some science selective for her via the internet. I do have some rearguard for , just not put it on yet with the way she is.

:wave: No problem.

I think the hay only diet for a bit is the best way to go - she may not be impressed but its for her own good!

The Rearguard is good but not if you are having to wash her at the moment as it loses its effectiveness. Be very vigilent about bum checks while she is messy.

Remember if and when you introduce other food again (some people keep their buns on hay and a little veg without problems) (check out threads on here by searching "pellet free diet or hay only diet) it must be very slowly.

Good luck.

:wave: No problem.

I think the hay only diet for a bit is the best way to go - she may not be impressed but its for her own good!

The Rearguard is good but not if you are having to wash her at the moment as it loses its effectiveness. Be very vigilent about bum checks while she is messy.

Remember if and when you introduce other food again (some people keep their buns on hay and a little veg without problems) (check out threads on here by searching "pellet free diet or hay only diet) it must be very slowly.

Good luck.

I agree with this advice. Some good quality hay should help tempt her. What you need to look for is nice green bags of hay, green suggests freshness. You could always do a post asking where people get good hay in your area.

When you get your new pellets you will only need to feed her an eggcup full a day, that will be plenty especially with her being an indoor bun.

Hi Bunnyblue

Just thought I would let you know that they hay my hubby and I have started using for Jims is called OXBROW. We use x2 varieties- Orchard Grass and Western Timothy. Jims seems to LOVE it! As soon as it goes in the cage he is in there gobbling it up!
It is a really nice green colour and smells very nice too, It is quite expensive but I think it is worth it if it is good for him, he is my little prince and deserves the best :D

Back