• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grass Scorching

how do you mean scorching? they dont breath fire? do you mean that the grass s becoming worn down? this is a good thing it means the rabbits are eating the grass... let them be free range in a bunny proofed garden or allow their run to be moved around will ensure even grazing. x

jsut a thought did you mean scratching as in digging up the lawn? provide lots of toys adn a digging box also neutering helps to deter this behaviour and a bonded pair will often dig les sif both are neutered. x

No I did mean grass scorching! My bunnie is allowed to roam free around my garden, however he urinates in the same few areas and his urine is scorching my lawn. He has a toilet in his hutch, but for some reason has stopped using it to urinate in.

Does he drink from a water bowl? If so, you could try adding a 'dog rock' to the bowl. These absorb certain elements from the water thus reducing urine scald. They work on dog wee so I don't see why it shouldn't be any different for rabbit wee. Worth a try anyway. They're £9.99 a bag and last for 8 weeks - you can buy from P@H.

In dogs if the urine burns or scorches the grass it means the urine is too concentrated. In rabbits you will get a really strong urine if he is eating too many pellets and not enough hay, grass and high fibre veg. It could also mean he is not drinking enough water. The urine can also be concentrated if he has a urinary infection. You might also get strong urine if you are feeding the same type of high mineral vegetables every day - variation and everything in moderation should help.

Dog Rocks are used to neutralise the urine but do not treat the cause of the strong urine in the first place, which if left untreated may lead to problems.

Hope this helps :)

Back