• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny spay aftercare advice

panbunny

New Kit
Hi everyone, just wondering if I could get some advice concerning my little mini-lop, Pancake, who was spayed today.

After the spay the vet nurse said she was eating and drinking fine, and she's continued to eat greens + hay at times throughout the evening after coming home.
One thing I'm slightly concerned about is the lack of droppings, there haven't been any since her return, although she has peed a number of times :?

Most of the evening she has spent slumped in a corner in her temporary indoor home (she's usually an outside bunny!) looking a little like this:
95742763.jpg

Although this is understandable given she's just had a major op!

Should I be concerned about the lack of poo at this early stage? (She's been home since 5pm today)

Hopefully she'll be back to her usual bounciness soon! :D
pb2c.jpg

I'd probably just keep an eye on her overnight and if she still hasn't poo'ed by the morning ring the vet.

Did they give you any gut stimulant to feed her if she wasn't going to the loo?

Make sure she is nice and warm and put her water in a bowl instead of a bottle.

If she hasn't pooed by mid morning tomorrow or, if you are worried before hand, call your vet. Amber didn't poo by early morning so i called my vet who said give her a few more hours. She still hadn't pooed so i rang again and was told to bring her in. Ater putting the phone down i discovered a big pile of poos she had just done:roll:

Oh and the poos she will do will probably be a lot smaller than usual;)

Thanks for the lovely words and advice!

I've now put a bowl of water out for her, she's refusing to eat anything at the moment (even refusing fresh grass and basil which is a rarity! :() but she's had a fair bit already so I'll leave her be whilst keeping an eye on her for now.

Thanks for the lovely words and advice!

I've now put a bowl of water out for her, she's refusing to eat anything at the moment (even refusing fresh grass and basil which is a rarity! :() but she's had a fair bit already so I'll leave her be whilst keeping an eye on her for now.

The opiate pain relief and the GA makes them drowsy and sleepy. If however in the early hours/morning she is still refusing food and no droppings then I would see a vet first thing for some more pain relief and some gut motility agents. Hoping she feels better soon. She's very pretty, looks a little like my Poppy :)

Hope your bunny has improved overnight. If she is still not eating this morning please take her back to the vet as she may need syringe feeding, pain killer and gut stimulant. My bunny was spayed on monday and still won't eat for herself.

Thanks again for the replies, she's been eating fine this morning and has been starting to poo again - I've never been so pleased to see her poo all over one of my towels!

Pancake is looking very well today, the wound is very clean and looks to be healing nicely :D

She's been pooing and they're still very small and dark, but there is the odd normal looking one so I'm hoping it's just her digestive system starting to resume normal service.

She had the spay on Friday and is still living indoors with me, when should I be looking at putting her back in her hutch? I imagine that will be a lot less stressful for her but I'm worried about the hay irritating the wound.

Thanks again for your advice and support :love:

I had Miffy back outside the same day albeit a warm one - 2 different vets advice was contradictory - I just went with good advice from here and by jut instinct - she was in her own space with Fluffy snuggled up and in familiar surroundings - I cleaned all the hay out of the bedroom and toilet and put in kitchen roll and put in a hay tray separately which she then sat in and used as a toilet and lay in it !!!
So now we are back on carefresh and hay for bed and both toilets.
Loads of hay should help poos return to usual.
Miffy has come along amazingly - and has a white tummy again - and she was spayed on Monday.
:)

Thanks lunar :D

She was back in her hutch yesterday evening and already this morning her litter tray was full of normal poos :lol:

So relieved she's looking healthy again, thankyou so much everyone for all your help!

Back