• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chronic Liver Disease

SisterMoonbeam

Mama Doe
I would like to know if anyone has had any experience of this and what happened...

...Fidget has just been diagnosed and i am absolutely devastated.

I basically want to know how much time i have left with her and what happend when symptoms start to flare up.

At the moment she is losing weight and drinking excessively but other than that she is still eating/pooing and her behaviour is normal and seems bright and bubbly. I know this is not going to last but i would just like to know how long. I'm not sure if its days/weeks or what and i can't speak to the vet again now until monday :(

I have decided that as soon as she starts to become 'ill' so to speak, as in, when her illness is affecting her quality of life then i will let her go. I don't want to prolong any suffering she will endure. Especially after what the vet told me happens with chronic liver disease :cry:

I am heartbroken and just want to know how long me and Frankie have left with our little angel

It really isnt possible to give you an exact 'how long' as each case depends on so many factors and how advanced the damage is.
The Liver does have the ability to regenerate in some cases but again it would depend on why the organ is failing in the first place.

What treatment has your Vet prescribed ?

ETA I have used Milk Thistle for Rabbits with impaired hepatic function

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/milk-thistle-000266.htm

http://www.red23.co.uk/Milk-Thistle-Seed-Alcohol-Free-Liquid-Extract-30ml_p_1050.html

Last edited:
I know what you are going through, our dalmation has been diagnosed with liver damage. She was initially prescribed antbiotics in case she had an infection, this had no affect and finally she was put on a suppliment for dogs, but it contains milk thistle ( availalble form health food stores, I'm sure Jane could avdvise dosage) and over the last year her liver enzymes have gradually increased to 10 times above normal, however she was blood tested again on friday and they are now only 5 times above normal- neither myself or our vet knows why. She is showing no real signs of any problems so don't give up hope, the liver is the one organ that can regenerate- so speak to your vet and find out all the options open to you.

Not prescribed anything yet as i found out on the phone when she gave me the blood test results. I am going back in on tuesday with her to look at the options. She didn't seem hopeful though. The milk thistle looks good, as long as it eases any suffering that's great!

I know it's not possible to predict how long, just looking for a differentiation between hours or months for example but i know it's hard to judge.

Back