• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FLYSTRIKE - hope I've caught it in time

dyoung5

Young Bun
I've been boarding an indoor Giant bunny. She's only 18 weeks old and absolutely gorgeous. Last night when I went to get her in from the garden I noticed her bum was a bit mucky (I always check their bottoms).

On closer inspection, damp cloth in hand ready to clean, I noticed tiny white rice looking bits under her tail. I've never experienced flystrike (thank goodness!) with my own bunnies but recognised it immediately thanks to this forum and other useful websites when I did my homework before rescuing/ boarding.

I promptyly bathed her with water and vinegar (is this the right method? I've heard it kills maggots??) and combed off what I could. I phoned the vet but he didn't think it required urgent attention and to wait for this morning. Against my better judgement, and with one sleepless night, she was given the all clear by the vet this morning. No further signs of infestation just some redness. Rearguard has been applied.

But can I be certain that this is all that is needed? I'm keeping a close eye on her but she is eating normally etc. Her poos are very runny however? I just hope she will be okay. Is there anything else I can do? Her bedding is clean etc

All in all, I hope I never come across it again. Horrid, horrid experience.

Sounds like you had a bit of a fright! Am so glad she's ok and given all clear by vet. I think all you can do is keep a close eye on her and inspect her bottom several times throughout the day for any stray eggs/larvae. The rearguard should help I think to kill any remaining or prevent from hatching? I've never used it but I think this is how it works. I would keep an eye on the redness as I expect putting an insecticide on this could make her a bit sore.

I think your main priority now would be to keep her bedding and litter trays as clean as possible, especially with this runny poo. Obviously being in a strange environment she needs familiar smells around her and constantly changing her litter/latrine may cause further stress but in these circumstances you have no choice, especially as her bottom is likely to continue to attract flies - you want to keep them well away from her enclosure, any soiled litter will attract them. Can you hang up some fly nets, sticky paper or an ultra violet fly killer lamp?

I also think you are going to need to review her diet whilst she is with you but without causing further upset. It sounds to me that the stress of being somewhere new has given her an acute dysbiosis in her guts and she is over producing caecotrophs and malformed ones. I would personally withdraw vegetables for a couple of days and reduce her pellet ration and encourage her to eat more hay and plenty of fibrous materials to try and rebalance her caecum to try and clear up this dysbiosis. Some probiotics may help as well. Plenty of fresh water. Not sure what else...hope she stays fly free for the rest of her stay. Well done for being so vigilant! :)

Thanks - still okay so far so good

Thanks for your help - I'm picking up stools as soon as they come if left and not eaten and am being very vigilant about flies indoors. I'm giving her lots of hay; my thoughts are that the stress of the vets this morning and being overly handled may be causing the upset tummy. I've also taken to syringe feeding her water as I haven't seen her drink and she seems to be enjoying it so felt it was best to give her some.

Fingers crossed the recovery continues!

Back