• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help bunny not eating! U/D Back to her happy self

Rose24

Warren Scout
Hi All,

When I came home today I noticed Hibby was very quiet and when I opened the cage she didn't run out as usual. I took her to the vet at 5.00 pm and she said she thought hibby was bright but her tummy felt a bit empty and there were not a lot of poo's in there.

The vet gave her a injection (gut stimulant) and metacam at about 5.45pm and we were also given some science recovery and some zantac syrup to give to her tomorrow morning if she still hasn't eaten.

Well I just phoned the out of hours vet as Hibby still hasn't eaten and although she has moved around a little more she is still very quiet. The vet advised that we syringe feed her 2ml of recovery every 2 hours. The vet also advised that they cannot give her another gut stimulant until 8 hours has passed.

What else can I do? Will the stimulant kick in? The thing is after a vet visit she is always very grumpy so I dont know if thats part of it.

Please help x x x x

Last edited:
Bramble had a similar problem a couple of months ago. He was also kept in at the vets overnight. Once he had had his injections and been syringe fed, he was soon eaten again. He was able to come home the next day.

I still wonder if he had eaten some paper that was lining his hutch, not sure though.

I hope Hibby is feeling better soon.

Thanks for the replies

She has been over to the water bowl a couple of times but have not noticed her drinking a large amount. We have just given her the recovery formula (2ml) by syringe. Should I give it every two hours? I am worried that all this messing with her is upsetting her more. Did the vet syringe feed bramble that regularly? Also is 2ml enough?

We have tried her with every type of food and she just turns away

Really worried x x

Yes Bramble was fed every 2 hours also. It seemed to do the trick with him.

Can you remember the amount? Just read on an old post that someone was told 15ml every hour. I dont want to give to little but the nurse at the vets said 2ml....im so confused :cry:

Keep up with the recovery feeds - also syringe water - or mix recovery runny. Its so difficult I know, but keep with it I have managed to get a few bunnies through stasis with this. Your vet has given the gut stimulant that will help the recovery pass through and be digested and the metacam will help with the pain. If there is no poo by morning then go straight back.

Also..... I know Jane doesn't agree but mix fresh (must be fresh with no added sugar) pineapple juice with my recovery as the bromelin helps digestion - i've had success every time I've done this.

Finally, keeep bunny warm as temperatures drop when they are feeling under the weather

Oh and finally, finally - if you can get her to eat dandelion leaves at any stage these are great as they are an appetite stimulant.

Sending poo and eating vibes xxx

Can you remember the amount? Just read on an old post that someone was told 15ml every hour. I dont want to give to little but the nurse at the vets said 2ml....im so confused :cry:

That sounds fine - its just to get the gut moving something through x

It's normally 10-20ml every 2-4 hours - but in reality it will be whatever you can get her to swallow. I would try and syringe her some fluids slowly as well...just 0.5ml at a time, so she's doesn't choke or aspirate. Cooled herbal tea like peppermint/camomile/fennel tea seems to go down well with bunnies for syringing fluids. You can also mash a little banana into the recovery food to make it more palatable if you wish.

If she is very unresponsive or uncooperative then you will need to phone the emergency vet back tonight as she may need some stronger pain relief (Opiate like buprenorphine) and probably some sub-cutaneous fluids by syringe from the vet. Hydration and pain relief are essential to encourage eating which in turn encourages gut motility.
I know she seems out of sorts but I would also encourage her to hop around a little. Keeping her warm when she is resting is very important using a heat pad or water bottle filled with hot water (wrapped in a towel provided she doesn't chew). Gripe water/infacol given 1ml before every syringe feed also can help as can a gentle but firm tummy rub for a minute or two before syringe feeds.
If you get yourself into a routine of pick her up, tummy rub, meds, syringe food, hop around then back to bed and then give her two hours off to rest in peace. Hope that helps....good luck! More pain relief and gut motility agents will likely be needed first thing in the morning. :)

Hi All,

I'm pleased to report that Hibby is eating!!!!! :D She is currently munching on a piece of carrot. This is going to sound completely dizzy I'm sure but should we stop with the recovery now? Dont want to interrupt her eating.

I think the lack of sleep and worry has mushed my brain :oops:

x x x x

Hi All,

I'm pleased to report that Hibby is eating!!!!! :D She is currently munching on a piece of carrot. This is going to sound completely dizzy I'm sure but should we stop with the recovery now? Dont want to interrupt her eating.

x x x x

Sounds promising :)
I would stop the syringe feeds once she is eating properly as the stress (and sulking) can send them into hungerstrike xx
Eta: you can still offer it in a bowl, mixed with a little more water in case she likes it xx

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, well we gave her another 2ml and as soon as we put her in the pen she ate some hay so fingers crossed. Going to leave her well alone for the next 2 hours and check in on her and if she is eating I wont stress her out anymore. She loved the tummy rub though :) x x x x

Great news! Sounds like she is getting there now.....well done. Good night from me too and hope she feels better in the morning! :wave:

Hi All,

x x x x

Thats great news !!!!! Keep and eye and look for poo, if she is eating and pooing then yep stop the recovery - well done xx

Hello Everyone

I'm pleased to report that a couple of hours after my last post Hibby started to eat hay and had a visit to her litter tray!! :D

She still seemed a little off colour but by the morning she was begging by the fridge for her morning carrots and treats :)

Thanks for all your help, you were all brilliant :love:
x x x x

Back