• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit is bleeding!

axis304

New Kit
I came home today to see that my new bunny has been bleeding! After inspection she doesn't have any blood on her and she is actually moving around a lot more than when I got her and she is more welcoming to my holding and petting her than when I got her. I've noticed its in 3 corners of her cage, and from what i've heard they prefer to go in the corners so maybe is coming from her peeing? I have no clue what to do, she seems fine should I be concerned about this?

She is about 8-9 weeks old right now.

Thanks!

It can be hard to tell the difference between blood and orange/red urine which can be caused by eating foods with orange colours in them.

If it is blood then check for a broken nail, if there is a broken nail but it is healed then just clean up the wound. If it is blood and there is no obvious cause then a trip to the vet is probably in order.

Thank you for your help.

So far I have looked up a few things and found that the orange color as you described is actually the problem. I changed her bedding and wiped up the 'blood' and found that it wasn't actually red it was a deep orange. This would make sense because her diet has changed from a strictly pellets diet (the old owners) to a mixed pellet with other misc items (can't tell you what they are to be honest, they just come in the bag with the pellets) as well as from fresh cabbage and lettuce

I have watched her urinate once since and it was a clearer yellow.

Thank you so much for your time and help. Any more suggestions please let me know.

I have also examined her EVERYWHERE and she has nothing for color other than her white fur on her.

The mixed pellets you describe.....not the best for bunnies, better to get a actual pellet food.
Also, what kind of lettuce do you feed, as iceberg lettuce isnt good for buns.
Does she also eat alot of hay, as she should be eating loads!

The mixed pellets you describe.....not the best for bunnies, better to get a actual pellet food.
Also, what kind of lettuce do you feed, as iceberg lettuce isnt good for buns.
Does she also eat alot of hay, as she should be eating loads!

Shes probably eating a good 3x the amount of hay as she is food. I thought she just liked it a lot :)

I will take the pellet mix out and give her only the pellets and fresh greens. I don't believe the lettuce is iceberg because it came straight from our garden, and our other greens did as well.

We also don't use any fertilizers and i rinsed the greens before putting them in her cage.

Change her pellets over gradually though, as bunnies have very sensitive tummies :)
Good luck x

Change her pellets over gradually though, as bunnies have very sensitive tummies :)
Good luck x

Same goes for the greens. Anything new should be introduced very slowly, especially in such a young bunny.

More good luck wishes from here too!

Slightly concerned still because it has happened twice again still, how long should this last before it goes away? :cry:

The only thing that has changed since is the greens I gave her and switched from the mixed pellets to only pellets. She's still running around and to the front of the cage to me just as before, still eating and drinking (actually drinking a little more maybe?) like normal.

Also, how many times can I expect this to happen in the future?

How long should it continue before I should take her to the vet?

Thanks!

Slightly concerned still because it has happened twice again still, how long should this last before it goes away? :cry:

The only thing that has changed since is the greens I gave her and switched from the mixed pellets to only pellets. She's still running around and to the front of the cage to me just as before, still eating and drinking (actually drinking a little more maybe?) like normal.

Also, how many times can I expect this to happen in the future?

How long should it continue before I should take her to the vet?

Thanks!

What has happened again? The dark orange wee??
If so, this is completely normal. My buns wee varies in colour throughout the day and from day to day. Sometimes it is pale and yellow, and other times dark brick orange/red. It just depends on diet variation, concentration of urea salts and pigmentation from foods in her urine. Sometimes the urine oxidises with the air as it dries. So she might be peeing pale yellow urine that as it dries turns orange/red. This is nothing to worry about.

As long as she is eating and pooping normally, and drinking and weeing without dribbling, straining or white calcium deposits or actual blood in her urine then she is probably fine and you don't have to worry.
If there is anything you are concerned about then you can always ring the vet and have a chat to them over the phone and make an appointment to put your mind at rest. :)

i once rushed my little moo to the vets after i thought she was passing blood:oops:the vet clearly thought i was a right plonker as she pointed out that it was just bright orange wee(possibly from the carrot she had eaten for supper the day before:roll:)still better safe than sorry eh?:D

So this is something that should/could last as long as I have the rabbit?

Is there any chance that she will adapt and stop releasing orange urine?

Thanks soooo much for all of your help.

Orange wee is totally normal,sometimes it may not be orange.If the rabbit is well,eating,poo,ing,it doesn,t matter if its orange or not:D

Back