• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunny seems a bit down

beki

Mama Doe
***sorry :( wrong section! how do i move the post?

Ruby is 6 months old, she is a lone bunny. She is very friendly and happy but at the moment she just seems a little quiet. She is so happy to see me in the morning and tries to climb over me to come out, i feel so mean to have to push her back in the hutch but we have foxes in the area and i don't feel i can leave her unattended during the day in the run really.

When i get back from work she is usually sulking with her eyes half closed at the door of the hutch. She will look at me with one ear up as if to say...oh its you back again...and she will perk up a little. I do get her out in her run every night and i give her cuddles which she seems to like. She binkys when in her run but not as much as she used to. She also used to chin eveything including me but she hasn't done that for a while. She has lots of toys in her hutch to keep her entertained in the day but i don't think she is that interested in them really.

She seems to be eating fine, well she scoffs the veg and grass. I give her a handful of pellets in the morning, she doesn't eat many in the day but she does at night beacsue the next morning the bowl is always empty.

I was wondering if she was lonely? she is not spayed yet. Going to sort that out for the 1st week in september as I am off work and I thought it would be best to be around and make sure she is eating and not over excerting herself. Do you think she might be a bit quiet becasue of hormones? she is not at all territorial or aggressive.

She sometime just looks so down in the dumps, poor baby, i am pestering my boyfriend to let me get her a friend and he has finally agreed to after she has been spayed, but he wants to leave it a couple of months after (but i am working on him, i figures a couple of weeks after). Do you think a companion might cheer her up a bit. She must be a little lonely when I am at work.

Has she always been quiet? If not she may be feeling a bit under the weather and a vet trip may be in order just to check everything is ok.

A friend is definately the way to go. They are really social animals and do better in pairs. You will need to get her spayed and then once she's healed why not try your local rescue for a neutered male to keep her company.

no not really quiet much since i got her. She has had almost constant attention this weekend and has perked up a lot. I just don't think she likes being left whilst I am at work. She has been binkying more this weekend!

Rabbits need a lot of exercise either from an attached run that they rabbit has constant access to or time out freeranging, either house and or garden, for a minimum of 4 hours everyday.

Have you got fox proof wire on your run? If not, I would modify the run you have to enable your rabbit to be left in there during the day. Also, do you suppy her with plenty of stimulating toys/chews?

Back