• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

grass and hay

Simon

Warren Scout
my rabbits are quite lucky as they have there own lawn so grass is there main food source. I also give them pellets and fresh hay but does young grass give the rabbits the same nutritional value as hay does?

Grass is just as good if not better than hay as long as they are used to it. Introduce it slowly if they are not.

I agree, grass is actually higher in fibre apparently too so that'll be great for them, and its much fresher too obviously!

If they get runny poos however it may be a good idea to somehow discourage them to eat so much grass, due to its higher water content.

Both grass and hay can have different nutrition values. Eg spring grass is different to winter grass. Hay varies according to when it is cut. You can use the two as equivalents though, more grass eaten generally means less hay eaten.

I always put the hay down In the corner where they poo in bad weather and in the winter. Grass doesn't grow there because I'm always sweeping it so it can get sludgy and the hay keeps them cleaner. they also had a hay feeder but now I've had to replace that with a big sleep box after having to dig an back fill there warren yesterday (Buttons is poorly, I can't catch him down there) so they get plenty of both. The question always puzzled me because in the wild rabbits would always be eating long grass rather than the garden variety. There poos are always healthy. Thanks for your answers.:)

Back