• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Treatment for diabetes

Well Jake supposedly had DI which came on when he was about 10 months of age. He was treated with a Desmopressin

http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/Desmopressin.htm

However, I am now less convinced that he did actually have DI. His symptoms spontaneously resolved and I was told that with DI this can happen............:?

I have no first hand experience of DM in Rabbits.
AFAIK it cannot be diagnosed by just one Blood Test.
Also insulin plays a less important role in herbivores than it does in carnivores so from what I have read if DM is actually diagnosed in a Rabbit it is usually managed with dietary modification.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Metabolic_diseases/diabetes.PDF

Seems that a normal diet is all that is needed :? Plus Freddy is loosing weight not obese, yet he has all the symptoms. His urine glucose was normal and his blood glucose raised but this is more likely due to stress as he had never had a vet visit before only home visits. But with nothing else to go on the vets couldn't rule diabetes out :?

I just thought if the treatment wasn't to invasive then we would give it a try but he has been on the diet suggested all his life :?

Back to the drawing board :roll:

Last night Freddy drank a whole bowl of water between 7pm and 10pm :shock:

Seems that a normal diet is all that is needed :? Plus Freddy is loosing weight not obese, yet he has all the symptoms. His urine glucose was normal and his blood glucose raised but this is more likely due to stress as he had never had a vet visit before only home visits. But with nothing else to go on the vets couldn't rule diabetes out :?

I just thought if the treatment wasn't to invasive then we would give it a try but he has been on the diet suggested all his life :?

Back to the drawing board :roll:

Last night Freddy drank a whole bowl of water between 7pm and 10pm :shock:

What were his LFTs like in the blood test ?

The symptoms you describe and the raised glucose could indicate a Liver problem

I don't have a break down of the individual results but she said everything came back normal. They were sent to the lab rather than in house so we could get a more detailed look at any problems but nothing showed up :?

If the vet suggests sending off for fructosamine results, make sure the lab has a normal range to compare it to. Our vets asked the IDEXX lab if they could run the test, and they said they could, only problem was they couldn't tell us what the results meant :evil:, Marie Kubiak said she had often heard of this problem.

At the moment because of how severely disabled Freddy has become we have decided not to do any more tests for now but it doesn't stop me worrying myself sick about him :(

Thanks for letting me know :wave:

Back