• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dilema ... advice welcomed!

wiggie

Alpha Buck
Sorry if this has been asked before but could do with some advice.
I have been looking after a friends rabbit while they are on holiday and they don't want it back for reasons I won't go into here. We have grown attache to him and although weren't planning to have another rabbit would like to keep him. The only way we could do this would be to bond him with our existing pair. They have a close bond that I don't want to disrupt but if we don't try we can't keep this other rabbit. So the advice I need is to bond or not to bond?? It can't be straight away as this bun is overweight and so needs to loose a bit brfore being neutered and then we will need to wait till his hormones die down.
I really don't want him to go back to a home where he isn't really wanted:cry: so would have to rehome him if the bond didn't work

I think it is worth a try, but please be aware that it doesn't always work. The referred aggression we experienced between our closely bonded pair whilst we fostered another bun well out of sight dashed our hopes of ever even trying the bonding....he was successfully rehomed through a good rescue. This is unusual but it can happen....I have also spoken to the RWAF about this at the time we were going through it and was advised that they get many calls where the attempted 3 has split the bonded 2 for good....i'm not trying to put you off, but just make you aware of the risks. It may be that all 3 get on fine, I think you would be wise to atleast try. If you've been looking after him and it has caused no issues so far with your pair you might be ok....we had a nightmare the minute they could smell his scent on the lawn (we had to exercise him when they were indoors and vice versa) but my lovely long-term bonded pair would instantly go for each other the second they smelt his scent on the grass :(
Every bunny and bonding is different. Good luck whatever you decide. :D
p.s. yes he must be neutered first :wave:

Thanks, we have looked after other rabbits that have caused the female of our pair to be very defensive with lots of thumping going on and her almost standing guard whenever she knew they were there. With this rabbit we have had none of this behaviour. the female seems totally uninterested and the male curious, as is the new rabbit but certainly no issues. If it wasn't for this I ouldn't even be thinking about it. The female seems more accepting of male rabbits in general so I'm hopeful from that point of veiw. Will keep thinking as he continues with his diet I think and let them get to know each other from a distance.

Back