• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

? Building our own hutch

Rachelr

New Kit
Hi,

My partner and I are thinking about getting some rabbits in the near future. We would like to build our own hutch. After looking at some fantastic housing people have created we don't have space for a shed or a wendy house.

But we want to build something to fit in the space we have available which is 6ft x 2ft. My partner really like the chalet style of hutch. We ideally want it to be on two levels.

Has any built their own hutch or knows of anywhere that is a good resource to look at for research or has anyone got any ideas of what to build?

Also, can any one recommend any things that should be built in, like a seperate bedroom area.

Sorry for the long post

My tips would be think about cleaning (avoid hard to reach corners) and also how the doors open. You don't want to have to lean around half open doors if space is tight.

Have you thought about a run? A two storey 6' hutch will be great but doesn't replace the need for a large area they can jump about in :)

I build my own hutches. In all 3 of mine there is a little box in the corner like a bedroom. My buns luv them! I always see them in there.:)

We're going to either buy a run or build one on to the hutch for them. I've been doing lots of reading and know to make sure they have plenty of space to live in and to play about in.

I do want to put lino down to make it easier to clean too. A great tip and idea I found on here. :D

Thanks for the tips so far.

If your building a combo hutch/run (which I personally prefer) then think about how the run opens and the door open. Often the two overlap and you don't want to end up having to take the lid off the run just to open the hutch door ;)

Lining the hutch is a good idea.

For mesh go for the square/rectangular weldmesh rather than chicken wire. It is stronger and won't bow out of shape.

Tam

This is a 6ft x 2ft x 2 storey hutch that I made recently. (The window and door to the run is on the other side)
8.jpg

more photos here http://www.timb0.co.uk/rabbits/hutch3/

This is ours....i'm happy for you to PM me :)
029.jpg

003-1.jpg

005.jpg

008.jpg

It's homemade and 8ftx2.5ft double storey. We used lino to line it and then sealed the edges with silicon bathroom sealant to keep it watertight. It's for indoors obviously :)
The top doors are hinged, the bottom ones lift right out to make cleaning easier. The ladder goes up to another level from which there are steps up through the hole into the top floor. We used a pine frame, melamine boards for both bases and put piano strength castors underneath so it can be wheeled around if needed to be moved. We've altered things a bit since and not got around to swapping the bottom wire with the welded mesh as above. If your hutch is going to be outside then you must use welded mesh and proper catches (not like our swivel ones) Good luck building your hutch. :wave:

Last edited:
Hi everyone, thank you so much for your replies. :D

Prettylupin, I love your hutch it's amazing.

Timb0h, thanks for posting the link and how you built the framework. To a complete novice to diy it was really useful. My partner really liked the step by step pics you linked in too.

I'm, no, sorry we're getting lots of ideas. :D

I would add that its a good idea to have a nice large overhang on the roof to keep the rain out - many readymade hutches roofs are almost flush with the walls and thats not very good. Also, make provision for wintertime weather protection, maybe some upvc panels with ventilation for open sides and roof of the run and the wire front of the hutch.

Back