• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Injured front leg - update

paulinejoe

Mama Doe
I'm taking Joe to the vets tonight, but last Thursday night I picked my housebun up to move him as other half opening oven door and he wriggled out of my arms and jumped to the floor (laminated)

He seemed fine and he went to his room to bed not long after, and friday night we were out so didn't see much of him but on Saturday I noticed he was picking his paw up off the floor sometimes when he's sitting down and also licking at it.

He's still running about, but not as madly as he normally does, he's jumping in and out of his hutch ok, playing with his toys and eating normally.

If he'd broken it, would he able to put weight on it like he is doing? Or does it sound like a sprain or something?

I'm worried now as i've been googling this morning (we don't have internet at home) and it looks like you are supposed to confine them to their hutch which i haven't done, i hope i haven't made things worse for him :(

Last edited:
TBH he really does need to see the vet, to be sure what's happening in his foot/leg.

I had a little bun with me who flew out of my arms and was holding his paw up. An x-ray confirmed a broken bone in his foot and he had to be confined. It never once stopped him from running around and he was eating & drinking normally the whole time.

Bunnies are very good at hiding their pain/problems - hopefully the vet will be able to get things sorted for Joe later x

Thanks woodlouse, i'm pleased to say it's nothing serious thank goodness, he's done something to the end joint of his "little toe" it was a long word starting with L but vet said it's like a dislocation, it's too small to do anything so it will sort itself out. He's trimmed the claw on that toe so it doesn't catch on anything as it's sticking out a bit and he's given him some pain relief.

The vet made it look so easy putting the syringe in his mouth, but this morning even with my fiance holding him i just couldn't do it :( he was getting upset so i've squirted it on the dish next to his herbs and hope he will lick it up (apparently it's honey flavoured so they love it) and i've looked at a video this morning on howcast.com showing how to do it but they've done it with the most docile rabbit on earth i think, i think i'll have to video one with Joe with legs and fur flying :lol: Seriously though i don't know how i'm going to do it but i'm going to follow the tip about dipping the end of the syringe in apple sauce and see if that helps!

This has been a big wake up call to get pet insurance though, i was lucky it only cost £27 if he had needed further treatment it could have been hundreds so i will be getting him insured ASAP.

Last edited:
Back