• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

a home under the stairs?!

pooks

Warren Scout
I have recently bought a new house. At the moment my two indoor bunnies have a puppy crate with a puppy pen attached so they have an area around 5x5'. They are on lino flooring with vetbed, but the pen panels scratch the floor and have marked the floor leaving it a bit unsightly. In my new house I want to provide them with a new home that will give them lots of space but will not look too ugly. I was thinking about using the space under the stairs as we would not use this space and it would be ideal for the bunnies. The stairs are off the hallway so the space under the sairs is a part of the hall space, however, i was thinking about either building something into the space and making use of the height (the space is shaped at an angle so one end you can stand up and the other end meets the floor - as you would expect with an understairs cupboard).

So, do i build something into the space making use of the height with shelving or something? Or do i buy one of the Crufts Puppy Pens (that look very smart) and make it as large as poss with extra panels you can get to extend the standard size pen? The standard size pen is 31" x 49"

Are there any pics anywhere of understairs living spaces for rabbits for ideas?

Many Thanks!

Hiya,

I keep my buns in the understairs cupboard - its brilliant! I've not got any pictures with me as I'm at work, but I'll get some tonight for you.

I basically have cleared it, painted it the same colour as the kitchen (where it opens into) took the door off, laid lino and sealed this around the edges.
OH then built a large shelf for the buns with a smaller one half way as a stepping stone up there - then two shelves above that for all their stuff to be stored on. They love lying on the top shelf and snoozing and they get free range access to the kitchen - but I do have a panel across the door frame to keep them in there when we're cooking or need to be kept in.

It works really well!! My kitchen looks like a kitchen (most of the time) as all their stuff is hidden away, but they free range into the sitting room when we're home sp we still get to see them.

I'll get some photos for you soon.

my bun used to live under the stairs at our old flat(it was origianly a coal store)

we emptyed it out gave it a lick of paint, took the door off and put a stair gate up so she came and went as she wanted.

hubby wont let me do it here thats why they have a shed lol

My buns are in cupboards, with a larger than adverage bun it was the most sensable option, safty gate on just in case they need to be locked away and a puppy play pen so they can be cantained when necesary. I have found it briliant and easy to clean!

My buns live under the stairs too and really like it. I think they feel safe there because it's enclosed. We've got a gate that we take off when they're free-ranging but they still spend a lot of time in there because they love it so much. It keeps hay and general bunny mess contained too, so is easy to keep clean:)

tabitha rabbit would dearly love to live under the stairs, especially in the part i can't reach. sometimes she makes her way there, subtly, so that i have to search for her. tabitha would also like to live behind the freezer. she likes it so much there that she tries to bite anyone who wants her to come out.

therefore, territorial tabby is not allowed in the kitchen or the hall!

Here you go....this gives you an idea of the arrangement. The shleves are a mess and the buns bit is bare as i'm halfway through cleaning!

Basically, my stuff top 2 shelves..... shelf for buns with access at the back and litter tray underneath in the corner.

DSC_3187.jpg

S5000995.jpg

S5000981.jpg

S5000980.jpg

this was just a temporary thing until it warmed up and she moved outside. It did have carpets and towels on the other layers.

She also had the whole of the hallway (6ftx12ft) to dart around and it ended up being more of a bolthole/toilet

Last edited:
here's mine, its changed a little since then, shes got a nic cube extention so that she doesn't feel like she's locked out from the family and the end panels of it are now normal nic cubes rather than mesh, i think the oh may be persuaded into building me a shelf this weekend hope fully :) at a guess i'd say its not far off 9ft long, but its only about 2ft 6 wide

013.jpg

012-1.jpg

Back