• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

grass/readigrass?

CDW

Warren Scout
Is it okay to feed an eight week old rabbit some hand picked grass and readigrass in addition to hay. Would it have to be introduced to them slowly to prevent diarhoea?

Its high in calcium so should only be fed in small amounts as a treat. Only one of my rabbits can have it as it can cause a messy bum with Honey.

My experience with readigrass is that it isn't any higher in calcium than other hays, nor does it ever cause upset tums with my two and I feed it often as an alternative to a vast range of hays. The problem in my eyes is that it is freeze dried and therefore very dehydrating - which means buns must drink a lot afterwards. If you provide a bottle rather than a bowl it is possible that the buns don't drink as much as they need and become dehydrated and perhaps this would cause the problems people say they encounter. I've never had any probs with it at all and as it is around 32% fibre I feel it is a good feed stuff. :)

Back