• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Coccidiosis

Ben's mum

Warren Veteran
Anyone got a fair bit of knowledge about coccidiosis here? :?

Is it possible for wild rabbits to be passing around coccidiosis and 'infecting', say, a garden? Would the risk of coccidiosis spores (or whatever they're called) being left on the grass/tracked into the house etc be quite high? We're talking about a large number of wild bunnies/no real way of bunnyproofing the garden

Last edited:
There is a huge thread on here from a couple of years ago about it, it had quite a bit of info on. I've treated for a suspected Cox infection before when I rescued and it was a bloody nightmare.

There is a huge thread on here from a couple of years ago about it, it had quite a bit of info on. I've treated for a suspected Cox infection before when I rescued and it was a bloody nightmare.

Will have a dig.

Edited first post to be a bit less vague :?

Our bun had it before we adopted him. He picked it up at the RPSCA when they put all the buns out on the grass where the dogs had been and cra**ed on!
They lost all of those buns except ours! We have always believed that his propensity for bloat/stasis is from scarring to his intestines or damage to his liver? Although the liver heals well so that's unlikely now. It's a nasty bacterial infection and I think the main problem is dehydration! :(

I understand that Coccidia is killed by strong uv light so keeping the grass short so sunlight can get to it may help.

I really should have read the links first :oops: Didn't know it was protozoal - i've had one of those! Not nice :( and didn't realise the oocytes were excreted by infected rabbits i.e rabbit to rabbit transmission, always assumed the dogs had been carriers and the buns had ingested them that way! Just shows what i know...not very much!.....very interesting links....thank you:D

I have a friend who is incredibly knowledgable about this, having dealt with it a lot. If she comes online tonight, I'll ask.

Back