• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

*URGENT* Looking for help advice and tips- This mornings up date

deja224

Alpha Buck
Ok this may be a bit long sorry: We have a rescue bunny who is pretty ill, we had to rush her 2 vets todays as she stopped eating again and her swaying was alot worse, the vet has said she weights less that 1kg she is blind and she dosent react to pain, it could be she has nerve damage (she also had brain damge) we have a week to try and get her to gain weight and get her eating, We have all sorts of meds for her, Does any one no what we could try to get her to start eating again, what may tempt her, please dont write her off yet i no a week isnt long but we really want to try and help her shes still fighting.

This all because of some one we dont no what the poor little things been through :censored:

Last edited:
I'm wondering what the vet means by not reacting to pain?? How would they assess that in a prey animal?

Erm...we find fresh herbs work wonders - really strong scented ones like Rosemary, thyme, basil, mint and things peppery like watercress and radish leaves - this is what works when my buns have stasis/bloat.
Well done you for not giving up on your bunny:)

he was pressing in between her toes she should have turned around or tryied to move she just sat there, i will try to get thoes herbs

he was pressing in between her toes she should have turned around or tryied to move she just sat there

But surely that is just testing her reflexes and sensory nerve responses? What about other pain? Does she have some painrelief anyway? I really am only guessing here by the way, I'm definitely no vet and was thinking of human motor reflexes and sensory nerve responses...

sorry im so upset im trying to get this all down he tested her nerves, pain, eyes loads of things, he gave pain meds any way

sorry im so upset im trying to get this all down he tested her nerves, pain, eyes loads of things, he gave pain meds any way

Oh ok, sounds like your vet has done everything he can do for now. It must be terribly upsetting for you. Don't give up if you're not ready to give up. You're doing your absolute best - try some nice herbs out:D I really do hope your poor bunny gets well, it must be heartbreaking for you:(

im a mess at mo but if she will fight so will i got 12 other rabbits to sort a dog whos been castrated and 6 dogs bording so its a tough day, she may b small but this bunny has made a big impact

Can you try bunny with some soft pellets? Try porridge oats as well - and herbs are always good to tempt them. A bit of crushed up weetabix, small amounts of grass and dandylions.

Bless the little one - she sounds as though she has been through the wars :cry::cry: Please give her a gentle cuddle from me :love::love::love:

Syringing pellets liquidised with water & probiotics.

Is she still drinking?

Other owners use vegetable only Baby Food like carrot, I have heard.

I hope she picks up soon :wave:

noting all this down and going to head to tescos! shes not drinking much ut she loves powdered kittens milk shall i tempt her with some?

No not milk, it won't do her tummy any good :( If you can get Hipp Organic baby food you can try the potato and tender carrot - and also the fruit one - you can mix these with mushed pellets and try her with them:love:

ok thanks i feel bad now at times she wont drink so we mix up the powded kitten/puppy milk and give her few drops of that, i am going to get her bits in a mo but at moment she curled her self in to a ball on my lap :(

We bought some fantastic new baby food at the weekend for the bunnies from Morrisons

Ella's Kitchen Organic baby food, Apples and banana. It is just pureed fruit no adde rice etc. It is in a squeezy bottle not a jar but does cost 89p a go.

Elwood adored it.

Sending vibes for the little bunny

noting all this down and going to head to tescos!

Whatever you do - wash any herbs or veggies from Tesco - they tend to use quite strong chlorine to wash things before selling them.
If they are wet they will help get a bit of fluids into her as well.
My buns respond well to syringed cooled peppermint/camomile tea when sick if you can syringe her some fluids alongside some syringe food!
I found mixing pureed baby banana/apple in with the Critical Care food really helped:)

We bought some fantastic new baby food at the weekend for the bunnies from Morrisons

Ella's Kitchen Organic baby food, Apples and banana. It is just pureed fruit no adde rice etc. It is in a squeezy bottle not a jar but does cost 89p a go.

Yep that's what we used!!! Found it in Waitrose as well.

she eaten and pooed!! i gave her a section of herbs after i gave her a small amount of baby food and few drops of mint tea, she came up for a noise rub baby steps in the right way :D

Back