• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bottle or bowl?

chrissie

New Kit
Our rabbits used to have a bottle, which lost it's ball (manufacturers fault, lots were taken back!!), so I gave them a bowl as a replacement for a few days.... I went and got another bottle and they wont use it :?

I moved it to our rabbit who is in isolation because of a broken leg and she uses it fine.

Is there any way to get them to use it again? Or is a bowl ok?

Bowl is OK, they can get water more easily so long as they don't knock it over. I have one of the stainless steel bowls that sits in a ring (I think it is for large birds in aviary). They also have a bottle if they want that.

If they prefer a bowl I don't see whats wrong with that as long as it's a sturdy one that won't be knocked over easily.

My 2 have both. One uses the bowl more and the other uses the bottle more. I think its down to each buns preference. Mine have both available to them at all times

My rabbits won't use a bottle in the run, only a bowl, and in the hutch, they use both. So I provide both. I think they should have at least two sources of water in case one stops working or has been tipped over.

Mine have water bowls and they drink much better from them. They have 2 bowls per pair so there is always plenty there especially if its a rare occasion when I am out all day.

Rambi would die of thirst if only a bottle were used and he drinks alot! Huppie doesn't care. They have two glazed terracotta bowls in case one gets knocked over (it never has). During the scary winter months they only froze when it got to minus 7 outside so they work really well to insulate the water against cold and heat. They can also be surrounded with newspaper or hay to help during winter and ice cubes are just as easy to add to bowls as bottles. They are easier to clean too!

Back