• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Walking in harness

Gianetta

Young Bun
I'm a bit worried that my rabbit Caddy isn't getting enough exercise. She has the run of a garden hut and a six foot run attached to it, but she seems to spend most of her time just sitting on the roof of her hutch (which she never goes in now). Last Summer I had a go at putting her in a rabbit harness to take her for a walk but without much success. This weekend I had another go and managed to get her into it twice and she seemed to enjoy going for a walk with me. But this evening she just wouldn't let me get the harness on - she's gone back to really playing up, grunting, scratching and biting and looking generally stressed out about it. Is it worth me carrying on trying to get her used to going on the harness, or is it not worth the stress to her and the bites to me? Unfortunately I don't have the sort of garden that could be enclosed, otherwise I'd love to let her run free! Any tips about walking rabbits (or not) would be welcome.

i tried a harness once it was on my rabbit for 30 seconds he really didnt like it i dont think there much more than a gimmick not much excersise on a leash anyways :(
if you let your rabbit have the run of an unsecure garden for a bit just stay out and play with him/her

i tired mine in the harness too, petal was fine with it but ted just freaked with me beside her. i wouldn't really advise it as they can get their ickle paws stuck and if they panic it could be fatal. rabbits are more active in the evening so she may exercise then. could you bring her into the house for a run about? sounds excellent what you've got set up. it's maybe her choice not to run about. has she got a wee friend? maybe she'd like some company?

My rabbits (except Cloud and the kits, they're too young and Cloud is too nervous) were all harness-trained since they were young (3 months is the minimum) and they're generally okay with it.
I've had problems in the past with rabbits trying to eat the harness when I take it around their neck, so I gave them something to eat while I fastened it, then I let them run freely in the garden with me keeping a close watch on them.

Now a days I often just use runs on the lawn. I'm too lazy to walk them every day:lol: Its so much easier for them to just run around in the runs by themselves all day:3 (Sometimes even night, depending on the weather)

Ghostie is the bun I thought would most enjoy a harness, bought the safest mesh harness and she didn't get much out of it to be honest.
Is she living with any other bun/s?

Ghostie is the bun I thought would most enjoy a harness, bought the safest mesh harness and she didn't get much out of it to be honest.
Is she living with any other bun/s?

No - she's a lone bunny, unfortunately. She was given to me by someone who had taken on too many pets - if I'd been buying a rabbit I would probably have bought two as it seems a shame that she doesn't have any company. Don't know if she could be paired up with another bunny now. She's about 18 months old and I'm planning to have her spayed soon. Wouldn't want to end up with two rabbits that had to be kept separately because they didn't take to each other!

no rabbit is too old to be bonded but i do know where your coming from as i've 3 single bunnies now but thats because theres not many experienced bonders over in N.I but there are loads of rescue people on here would be able to find a perfect husbun for your girlie. have a look in the rabbits for need section. :D

To be honest, it sounds like she is lonely.
Toffee is quite old and when he was younger lived with a guinea pig. Once he was bonded with Ghostie and Pickle his life is now filled with colour.
I have had him for about 6-7 years and have never seen him binky so much. He really is full of energy now because of the other two.
I would deffinitely recommend finding a lively bun at a rescue, and sort of using a dating service, if it doesn't work out they could try him with another bun he liked. :)

To be honest, it sounds like she is lonely.
Toffee is quite old and when he was younger lived with a guinea pig. Once he was bonded with Ghostie and Pickle his life is now filled with colour.
I have had him for about 6-7 years and have never seen him binky so much. He really is full of energy now because of the other two.
I would deffinitely recommend finding a lively bun at a rescue, and sort of using a dating service, if it doesn't work out they could try him with another bun he liked. :)

Thanks for the advice - I will give some more thought to this after I have had Caddy spayed.

Back