• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

3 or 4?

rugbunny

New Kit
Hi all,
I have had two rescue house buns for a year now and wish to add to the brood.

Spotted several related threads but questions were about slightly different situations.

My question: is do I add a third to my beautiful Rufus and Maisie; or do I get two new and bond them first, then introduce the four?

If you're aiming to have four buns in total in the end what about getting an already bonded pair from a rescue then introducing the two pairs? :)

I found three tended to be an odd number and Chloe got left out a lot four works much better. I agree with Bunshine re getting an already bonded pair especially as pairs tend to be harder to home than single buns so you would be really helping :)

Update

Having found a bonded pair of girls the lady at the rescue centre kindly offered to bond them for us. They have been at the bunny hotel for two weeks and progress has been slow. Our rabbits were initially allowed to settle in and mark their hutch, then swapped hutches with the new girls. The new smells caused the existing pairs to squabble but that seemed to settle. The lady at the rescue centre has been trying to introduce them, taking one from each pair with some success. We are about to bring them all home with a lot of work to do, does antone have any tips?

Having found a bonded pair of girls the lady at the rescue centre kindly offered to bond them for us. They have been at the bunny hotel for two weeks and progress has been slow. Our rabbits were initially allowed to settle in and mark their hutch, then swapped hutches with the new girls. The new smells caused the existing pairs to squabble but that seemed to settle. The lady at the rescue centre has been trying to introduce them, taking one from each pair with some success. We are about to bring them all home with a lot of work to do, does antone have any tips?

I'm not too sure about this method of bonding-swapping bunnies about is surely unsettling for them?:? A small neutral area and all bunnies in together is usually the way to go as when they are all introduced together they will have to re-establish pecking order etc.

Back