• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A bit of a mystery - hoping someone might be able to help

Shel

Warren Scout
I have a nethie who came in very scrawny. He eats fine, and drinks lots. He is friendly and gorgeous. However I just can't seem to get him to put on weight. I started on Lapizole and have been feeding him up on oatmeal and junior pellets. He eats lots of hay too.
I took him to the vets today and she said his teeth were fine.
However when she listened to his heart she said it was very slow 120bpm when it should have been 220bpm especially when under stress on the table. She thought it could be some sort of metabolic disorder and said we could run some blood tests but when he had put on more weight. She gave him B12 injection.

However I think we were both quite puzzled by this. I just wondered if anyone has ever come across this problem with their buns. Any ideas gratefully recieved.

I wonder if the slow heart rate is related to impared renal function :?

I hope your Vet can find out what is wrong.

Thats what I think both me and the vet were thinking. Tests later will show. Is there any treatment?

Well the Buns I have cared for that have been in chronic renal failure were treated with anabolic steroid injections, multivitamin injections and dietary modification. The treatment cant 'cure' the condition but it buys the Bun more time.

Mind you renal failure can be secondary to cardiac disease so bloods would certainly be useful.

I believe a problem with calcium metabolism can also effect kidney and heart function but thats all way above my head !!

I would add excess of potassium which is the main OE found in plants in general... and normalyl quite stable in a same individual (for human anyway)

Do you mean she wants to wait for him to gain weight before running tests?
I have to say that seems backwards and strange to me! :?

But 1 of the reason rabbit lives the lifespan they do is because of how fast their heart rate is. So in a matter of speaking, isn't a slower heart good for him, so he can live longer?

Or does a bun need to have 220 bpm to survive?

For fattening a bun, you can try corn on the cob, it's meant to be fattening.

Back