• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sad week

mudchild

Warren Scout
Hello, I dont post here very often but I have found it very comforting after losing my bunny on saturday and I think my friends are getting fed up with me as they dont understand what he meant to me.
He died suddenly on sat morning. He had been a bit quieter than normal the evening before and I was going to take him in the morning if he was still quiet. I have no idea why he died as he was so healthy and happy. The grief is literally consuming me. And I keep thinking what 'ifs'.
Then I took my other bunny in to the vets today for a check up and she is having to have her dental for the third time this year tomorrow. He says there isnt anything I can really do to help stop these spurs as the damage must of been done when she was very young and her mouth is misaligned. She is three and has no fronts either.
I am losing the will this week, Dolly is so lonely without him too :( Any advice greatly appreciated! xx

Aww hun I know exactly how you feel - we had to let our beloved Ollie go last Friday & it hurts like hell :cry: But try to remember the good life you gave him & how happy he was with you & his bunny friend. Sometimes, there is nothing we can do as bunnies are notoriously good at hiding their symptoms from us :cry: I'm so sorry you lost him, but try not to feel bad for grieving for him - at the end you've lost a beloved friend & that takes time to come to terms with.

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry too much about other bunny as I'm sure your vet will do their best for her with her dental. I know it's not much consolation, but our first bunny as adults, Roscoe had 18 dentals in his time with us - over 5 years - he too had severe problems with his molars & no amount of hay or grass kept them in check all the time. Sadly some bunnies are prone to these problems - a lot of which I believe is to do with breeding etc :cry: Sending lots of vibes for your bunny to be ok with her dental.

Sometimes family & friends do find it difficult to understand our grief for our bunnies, I've found the same reaction from some of mine. But I find talking on here helps massively, as there really is nothing like bunny folk to understand how you're feeling.

I know you might not want to think about this at this moment in time, but do you think considering getting a new friend might help her & you? I'm sure your bunny that you've lost would love to know that you've rescued another bun to love & care for. Sending you ((((hugs)))) to be strong at this difficult time xx

Hello, I dont post here very often but I have found it very comforting after losing my bunny on saturday and I think my friends are getting fed up with me as they dont understand what he meant to me.
He died suddenly on sat morning. He had been a bit quieter than normal the evening before and I was going to take him in the morning if he was still quiet. I have no idea why he died as he was so healthy and happy. The grief is literally consuming me. And I keep thinking what 'ifs'.
Then I took my other bunny in to the vets today for a check up and she is having to have her dental for the third time this year tomorrow. He says there isnt anything I can really do to help stop these spurs as the damage must of been done when she was very young and her mouth is misaligned. She is three and has no fronts either.
I am losing the will this week, Dolly is so lonely without him too :( Any advice greatly appreciated! xx

I am sorry to hear you're also griefing - I lost Berty this morning :( I am sure our little bunnies are playing free in Rainbow Bridge ..x.x.x.x.x.

ah thank you so much for what you wrote, so lovely of you. That really did help me today and made me cry a little. Its so nice so come on here and have people that understand that your beloved friend is not just a 'rabbit'. I think its exactly what I needed to hear as I have been so down in the dumps after losing him and I have been able to think of all good times again today.

Dolly's op went well as possible and she is snoozing on her blanket now. She will have to have ops every 8 -10 weeks now :(
I will at some point think about getting a little friend for her as I know she loves company!
I'm so sorry for your loss too Bertys mum, hopefully they are there at the Rainbow Bride causing some mishief together!!
xxxx

So sorry for your loss. It must be hard on Dolly too.

Did you get Dolly to smell the body of her companion for about 1/2 hr.? She needed to know that her companion didn't run away from her, and the body brings emotional closure to her.

Get yourself a rehome bun in your area to refill the energy in your home, many rabbits are waiting for months in a small living area inside a rescue center, waiting for a good home.

here's a list of rescue center in UK

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

or go to the Rabbit In NEED section and see who's available

Or post in the rabbit in need section, many members w/ rescue centers will response to you

If you can't find a rescue center in your area, some members here wiil do a bunny run and deliver to your place.

As to Dolly's dental, if it is just molar trimming, my bun Bernie has to trim his teeth too.

For just simply teeth sanding/trimming down. We put Bernie under a deep sedation, complete some part of the
sanding. Then for the remaining of the operation, we put him under an "Ultra Short" GA, and finish off the rest. THis is to reduce the amt. of time under a GA. In Dolly's case, since she needs 3 operations already, the lesser time for GA, the better.

So sorry to hear you lost your bunny on Saturday I lost one in January and one in April and I still miss them so much and often think about them and have a little cry :cry:

So sorry for your loss. It must be hard on Dolly too.

Did you get Dolly to smell the body of her companion for about 1/2 hr.? She needed to know that her companion didn't run away from her, and the body brings emotional closure to her.

Get yourself a rehome bun in your area to refill the energy in your home, many rabbits are waiting for months in a small living area inside a rescue center, waiting for a good home.

here's a list of rescue center in UK

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

or go to the Rabbit In NEED section and see who's available

Or post in the rabbit in need section, many members w/ rescue centers will response to you

If you can't find a rescue center in your area, some members here wiil do a bunny run and deliver to your place.

As to Dolly's dental, if it is just molar trimming, my bun Bernie has to trim his teeth too.

For just simply teeth sanding/trimming down. We put Bernie under a deep sedation, complete some part of the
sanding. Then for the remaining of the operation, we put him under an "Ultra Short" GA, and finish off the rest. THis is to reduce the amt. of time under a GA. In Dolly's case, since she needs 3 operations already, the lesser time for GA, the better.

Yes as weird as its sounds I had him with me on a blanket for a few hours as I was in such shock. Dolly kept sniffing around so I think she muct know. She keeps staring into space and seems very lost so I think I need to start thinking about getting her a companion. I decided when Elvis died that I would never get another but after seeing what they were like with each other she defo needs a bunny friend to cuddle with.
She had her fronts removed when she was 6mths. As had Elvis. Both before I adopted them.
Its the back teeth -my vet took a photo for me and its a spike that grows to her tongue-he said there isnt anything I can do to stop this.

These bunnies eh- worth every penny thou!!!

Me too on my birthday

I have 3 bunnies and love them all. They have completely different natures. Mopsy was six at the end of April. He was dark grey with chocolate brown eyes and a white smudge on the right side of his nose. He was mischievious and saucy. I used to play with him, sing to him, kiss him and tickle him whenever I could. He was really friendly and if I didn't fuss him at the same time every night he would rattle the bars of his little door in his house (they live in my dining room) to remind me it was fuss time. I have four cats and he used to fuss them and chase them around up and down the stairs.

Anyway it was my birthday last Wednesday and I was off work. The evening before Mopsy seemed quiet but there were no other obvious signs of illness which I scrutinise them for anyway. He has been quiet before and then perked up again. I moved his hutch upstairs overnight to keep an eye on him and he was the same on Wednesday morning. I didn't want to go out and leave him but unfortunately arrangements had been made by my father to take me to visit relatives on Wednesday morning which I could not get out of. Mopsy seemed stable so I went out but got my husband to make a vets appointment for early afternoon when he arrived home. Anyway you can guess the rest. I got back in after stressing all morning about being out to find he had died, without me, but near the other 2 bunnies houses. I howled the house down. He had some white fluid in his one eye and was still warm so I don't know what time it had happened or if it took long or if he suffered. I did notice that his front paws were crossed and he was lying on his side like he did when asleep so I am hoping he was sleeping and did not know much about it.

I feel utterly guilty that I was not there for him. On a normal Wednesday I would have been at work anyway but I am frustrated that I was put in a situation beyond my control and Mopsy was on his own and I wasn't there for him. Luckily I gave him a huge cuddlle the night before and told him how much I loved him but it doesn't make me feel any better.

He made each day of my life magic and I don't know what I am going to do without him. I knew it was going to be hard and used to tell him that he couldn't go anywhere but nothing like this.

Jane

I can't stop crying. I am trying to fuss the other buns more but he was my favourite.

Im sorry to hear about your loss, they do become part of your family. Your rabbit had a good life with you and now he will be running around with the other rabbits eating carrots.

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost a special boy to nodular myxi about 18 mths ago and know what you are feeling like. I think its hard as family and friends do not always understand the strength of feeling you can have for a rabbit. If you lose your dog most people understand and can relate to that. But a lot of people think ' it was only a rabbit". My husband bought me a baby frenchie to replace my lost boy and at first I really felt numb towards him. But now he is my new special boy and and brings so much happiness to our lives. Hugs to you.X

I'm so sorry for your bad news, my baby is unwell at the moment and the thought of losing him brings me to tears everytime. Your right family, friends & colleagues dont understand - I've had he's only a rabbit, but he's so much more that to me. So my heart goes out to you at this very sad time x x x

I really hope he gets better soon. It is so awful when they are not well.

You are right. Only my husband and 1 friend at work really understand. My dad who took me out on the day Mopsy died doesn't even know what I got back to as there's no point even telling him. He would just say they are to be eaten!

It is so lovely on this forum that everyone understands and supports each other. My friend who does understand said to me that despite the pain all the happy years of having our pets (she has cats) makes it worthwhile after we have come to terms with things.

I have been fussing Indy (Indiana Jones Bunny) and Fluffybum (AKA Mrs Pie) with extra love and in fact they seem to be becoming much bolder and cheekier now Mopsy is not here (he used to jump up and down on their houses and wind them up). The other night Mrs Pie was running around in and out of a covered cat bed and playing with the cats toys (we have 4 cats - Pyewacket, Cassie, Zippy and Basil).

Hugs to you all xxx

Ah it really seems to be a sad time for alot of people and their bunnies at the moment. I copmpletly understand the guilt you feel, even though u shouldnt feel guilty its exactly what i have been feeling.
This is def the place to come if your feeling down..just having complete strangers taking the time out to reply has made me feel so much better although im still so missing him.
All we can do is think of the wonderful lives they had and how happy they were. Whenever I feel sad I try and picture his random binkies! xx

gaz lou emily

I understand what you mean totally about loosing your Bunny...they are lovely animals and i love my sisters bunny emily loads!!!!!! and also got probs with her and worry lots and get very sad and im a grown up guy..all the best.

Back