• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The rabbits are eating themselves out of their home.

binkacat

Young Bun
Well one of them is anyway, she is a minxy little rabbit and although we've only had her 6 months has repeatedly ripped/eaten the felt off the top of their hutch. Its a nice, well made Happy Hutch that's less than a year old so not some poor quality thing. We've obviously replaced the felt but as fast as we do it Honey rips it off again.

They live in a big run with the hutch inside the run and are free to come in and out the hutch as they please. They love spending time on the roof of the hutch. Anyway there is now a fairly large hole on the middle of the roof! I'm going to try and get some perspex sheets to nail onto the roof but apart from that I'm not sure what to do, so hope it works. Why does she do it? I give them plenty of logs to chew.

If the perspex doesn't work then they will need a new hutch as I don't think this one will last much longer at the rate they're going. I can't afford to buy a new hutch every year though! Are the eglu plastic rabbit hutches chew proof? I know they're small but at least they will be dry whereas at the minute if it rains my two will be getting wet! And they do have a big run to be in all the time so its not like they will be shut in a small hutch.

What about raising the hutch up so that it's too high to jump onto? Or perhaps put an overhang on the roof using the perspex so that the buns aren't tempted to jump up at all?

I've put the hutch up on bricks already and they still squeeze on. Can't think what else to use to get it higher. But an overhang sounds a good idea, thanks.

Back