• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mystery Illness

Deweyspal

New Kit
This is from my friend's blog. You can read the history here:
http://www.ashleysaunders.com/ashblog/archives/001937.html, but this is the mystery she is trying to solve:

"I'd be interested in hearing from any rabbit owners who've dealt with GI stasis. What I mean to say is "your rabbit's GI stasis" -- not your own -- because hopefully your intestines are working fairly well on their own and, regardless, I don't think we know each other well enough to discuss these sorts of things. You understand.

Recently, my rabbit had been having short sneezing fits. He'd have one such fit every two or three days, without discharge. We noted it, but didn't think much of it. It's possible that he was sneezing more often than that, but due to our work schedules, we aren't able to spend a tremendous amount of time with the little guy. Eventually, he came to have a sneezing fit and he'd sneeze out a milky, glue-like discharge. Now, this has actually happened before and the sneezing/snot issue resolved itself long before the antibiotics were completed, leading us to believe it may have simply been the result of some nasal irritation or allergy.

With his energy and appetite as good as ever, and the sneezing being so infrequent, we tried to rule out what might possibly have given him an allergic reaction -- we came up with nothing. We took Dewey into the vet, where he was placed on antibiotics -- a different type than he'd previously received (I'll check the name later) -- and about two days into his treatment, he lost his appetite completely.

This has also happened once before, and resulted in a few days at the vet for treatment and quite a bit of stress all the while. We brought him into the vet, but where the story differs from the last time around, it took a few days for any notable improvement in his appetite. Now, almost a week later, he's only slightly better -- well enough to have been brought home, but still not quite the same as he normally is in terms of appetite and waste.

Could this have been a reaction to the antibiotics? The vet noted that they'd never had such a reaction to it before. But other than the introduction of the antibiotics, really nothing else had changed in Dewey's environment that could explain such a drastic change in appetite and the onset of GI stasis. And we still don't know the source of his sneezing. (Contrary to what I've found online, the vet indicated that any discharge resulting from allergies doesn't necessarily have to be clear; it's possible that his white boogies aren't indicative of a respiratory infection.)

He's just completed a round of medication intended to stimulate his digestive system, and he's being weaned off his Critical Care syringe feedings. While his interest in food has increased slightly, he's still not 100%."

If anyone has any advice, etc. it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Has he had a full Dental examination?
Constant sneezing and subsequent nasal discharge can occur in Rabbits with Dental Disease where the tooth roots have elongated and penetrated the nasal passages. A radiograph of the skull is the only way to assess the tooth roots.
GI stasis is often a secondary symptom of another primary problem. The primary problem is often the teeth.

Some antibiotics are higher risk than others for causing gut dysbiosis so it'd be helpful if you could state what antibiotics were given and by what route-ie oral or via injection.

Thanks for the reply. His teeth where checked and they are in good shape. The vet, from what I am told, is very good and has helped this bunny in the past. Still trying to find out the name of the antibiotic.

His entire routine has changed, which has caused concern for his mum, who is an excellent bunny owner. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Back