• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New rabbit not happy

jimmyboy

New Kit
Hi Last week I bought two, 8 week old dwarf lop eared rabbits ( Mitsy & Jesse) They were both fine for the first two days but now Mitsy seems very withdrawn, she just seems to sit there all the time while Jesse is always moving about. She is eating ok but she does not look well. The pet shop said that it can take them a while to settle in but I am worried. Please can anyone help me??

Last edited:
Have you changed there diet at all and are they both pooh-ing ok and are they both drinking as well. It could be stress from moving to another home but if you think that your bunny needs to see a vet take her and the other one as well. Please let us know on how they go on.

:wave: and welcome

From your post you say that you have two nine week old rabbits, one of which although eating you feel apears unwell. My advise if you feel that this rabbit appears unwell is to get it vetinary attention. Rabbits are prey animals and do not usually show that they are unwell, usually when owners feel that something is wrong this is usually the time when treatment is required.

From your post you do not say if you are feeding your rabbit the same food that they were on when you first got the rabbits from the pet shop. Rabbits of all ages, particuarly baby rabbits have very delicate digestive systems which do not do well to sudden changes. For this reason it is important to change foods over extreemely slowly and also not introduce anything particuarly grass too quickly.

Please if you feel that there is a problem with your rabbit do get it checked out by a vet ASAP as rabbits do not normally show that they are unwell.

Hi Dumpling She was eating ok but She did not seem to interested today in the food when i filled the bowl but she might have filled up on hay, im not sure about the poo because there is two of them in the cage.

Hi Janice I am feeding them exactly the same food as they were in the pet shop and hay as well. As instructed by the pet shop

Hi Dumpling She was eating ok but She did not seem to interested today in the food when i filled the bowl but she might have filled up on hay, im not sure about the poo because there is two of them in the cage.

if she isnt interested in food i would get her to a rabbit savvy vet asap even if filled up on hay (which you dont know) t could be the start of stasis or bloat..... which i dont want to scare you but can be serious try and get her in it will put your mind at rest at least, also the vet can check they are the sex you have been told adn explain all about when they can have thier first vaccinations and be neutered. :) it also gives you a chance to find your local rabbit savvy vet...it may not seem important now to but trust us you will thank us later if you know where the best vets are!! x

Does the poo look normal to you and like the above post said have you changed food as it can realy upset there delicate tummys. Do you think she has lost any weight as well

No I havent changed thier diet dumpling she does not look like shes lost weight she looks a bit puffy, I think the poo is normal

There is also a lot of problems w/ breeder's rabbits or as you called it, pet shop rabbits. There is usually a lack of genetic diversification. My bridge bun Goofball passed away w/
numerous health problems, including having bone cancer at age just less than 2.

If you buy rabbit, you are encouraging those breeder to breed more bun as a supply. This is the condition that these rescue animals lives in

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

So when you buy a bun, you are doing this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTb5nY-3Dfo

Ok I just put some more food in the cage. I put it right in front of mitsy she did not even look at it, I will be taking her to the vets first thing in the morning. I hope she makes it through the night.

I had the same problem with one of my rabbits. I was worried that he seemed to be not eating at all so i brought him inside and watched him weighed his food. After a couple of days inside he ate for england. I hope your bunny is ok and what did the vet say?

There is also a lot of problems w/ breeder's rabbits or as you called it, pet shop rabbits. There is usually a lack of genetic diversification. My bridge bun Goofball passed away w/
numerous health problems, including having bone cancer at age just less than 2.

If you buy rabbit, you are encouraging those breeder to breed more bun as a supply. This is the condition that these rescue animals lives in

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

So when you buy a bun, you are doing this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTb5nY-3Dfo
Jason, what an insensitive thing to do :roll:
The OP does not need a guilt trip and is obviously very concerned about their new bunny!

How is she today?

Back