• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Barley has mites-vets later

willowholly

Mama Doe
It seems Barley may have mites.I spoke to the vet today and she said all rabbits have mites on their skin and at extreme times of stress it can cause a problem.I first noticed B scratching just after she had her last bout of cystitis in Feb but there was nothing to see on her skin/fur.Then she seemed to stop but started again after her bonding and this week I have noticed flakey skin and yesterday a small sore patch.The vet said bonding is the most stressful thing for a bun [after labour]and what with being ill then bonded it has brought the mites out.Will know more when been to vets later.Dill has no signs of problems but he will obviously be going with B so vet said she would treat him too.

The vet said B had definate mites but when I looked under microscope there was nothing moving-she said that was cos she had drowned them in saline.Is it possible she was lying to get money out of me?Anyway B has had an injection for mites and has got to go back next week for another.Dill has no signs of mites but she put 2 tubes of spot on on him as a precaution.He was so cute there,he kept climbing up me.They were both weighed.B weighs 4.2kg and Dill weighs 2.6kg.Dill keeps licking his back,the vet said that would be ok.B's lungs and throat were listened to & she says lungs are fine but a little noisy under throat but that was cos she was stressed at vets.I said about her snoring and she said that could be caused by an illness as a baby but she said not to worry-I'm not, as Will snored for 7years but Jill was a little concerned when she had her so thought better get it checked whilst there.Anyone any advice on mites?

Back