• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Biting the bars of the cage

PTV

Alpha Buck
Hi Guys,

We've had our rabbit now less than a week, she's 8/9 weeks old Netherland Dwarf.

Sometimes we spot her biting the bars of her cage and pulling them, it makes a banging noise.

Is she just teething?

I doubt its hurting her as surely she wouldn't keep doing it?

Paul

It's attention seeking/boredom. My little wildie does this when she wants me to either feed her or give her some fuss because she is bored. You do need to be very careful as they can damage their teeth by either pulling them out of alignment, snapping them off or pulling them out!

Has she got toys and things to play with and does she get plenty of exercise time?

It's attention seeking/boredom. My little wildie does this when she wants me to either feed her or give her some fuss because she is bored. You do need to be very careful as they can damage their teeth by either pulling them out of alignment, snapping them off or pulling them out!

Has she got toys and things to play with and does she get plenty of exercise time?

Hi, thanks for the reply.

She's got a little rabbit teddy but doesn't bother with it.

What toys do you suggest?

She gets at least an hour run around the living room each night, half hour of that is chasing her to get her back inside haha.

You can get some nice toys online from the hay experts such as wood rolls, gnaw stones, willow rings and vineballs or buy them from P@H. Also toilet rolls filled with hay and veg (if she is veg weaned) go down a treat. Mine also really enjoy cardboard boxes with holes in them and towels they can burrow under.

What size is the cage she is in?

An hour really isn't enough time for her to exercise, she should be having an absolute minimum of 4 hours a day but preferably 6-8 hours. I put my buns out at 9 or 10 and bring them back in between 4 and 6 usually.

You can get some nice toys online from the hay experts such as wood rolls, gnaw stones, willow rings and vineballs or buy them from P@H. Also toilet rolls filled with hay and veg (if she is veg weaned) go down a treat. Mine also really enjoy cardboard boxes with holes in them and towels they can burrow under.

What size is the cage she is in?

An hour really isn't enough time for her to exercise, she should be having an absolute minimum of 4 hours a day but preferably 6-8 hours. I put my buns out at 9 or 10 and bring them back in between 4 and 6 usually.

Ok thanks for the advice.

She's quite small, she fits in my hand perfectly.

The cage is a good size, about 5ft x 4ft and she can climb ontop of her house and still stand up on her back legs with room to spare.

We looked around for the right size cage, didn't want her to feel cramped up.

Last edited:
Back