• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Drinking Issue.

PTV

Alpha Buck
Hello Rabbits United,

I've recently got a new rabbit, she's a gorgeous Netherland Dwarf. Her name is Button.:love:

She's 8 weeks old and still quite small, even for this breed.

She lives indoors and has a nicely sized cage (as you can see from the pics at the bottom of the post).

My issue is that the water bottle on the cage is quite big and I'm worried that she's not drinking. I've tapped the ball bearing on the end of the bottle and water does dispense. The water doesn't seem to be going down very much at all.

I decided that when she was near to squeeze the bottle so some water dribbled out and see her reaction... She started drinking like mad! So then I got concerned and decided to put some water in a dish, which she also started drinking like crazy.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this.

Maybe a smaller bottle would be a good idea?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Paul.

SDC11901-1.jpg

SDC11898.jpg

SDC11895.jpg

She's probably not used to drinking from a bottle, it's something they usually learn from their mother. I don't think the size of the bottle really matters. If she doesn't drink from the bottle then just stick to using a dish :)

ps she is adorable :love:

What a gorgeous girl she is. Some buns don't like drinking out of bottles and if you've given her a bowl and she uses it then I would leave that in for her to use. Mine have a bowl in their run and a bottle in their cage and use them both. :D

Hi what a gorgeous bunny:love:

I used to use bottles, but I was always worried in case they got blocked, mine all have bowls now which are also easier to clean.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I'll keep an eye on the bottle and the dish and just see what she prefers.

She's starting to settle in very nicely now, she was shy and jumpy at first, but now she's getting confident and cheeky!

As everyone as said some bunnies wont drink from a bottle, and prefer a bowl of water :)

She is absolutely stunning!! :love: Where did you get her from? It seems your not far from us :D xXx

As everyone as said some bunnies wont drink from a bottle, and prefer a bowl of water :)

She is absolutely stunning!! :love: Where did you get her from? It seems your not far from us :D xXx

Hello.

Cannock, I know it a little. I've been to the Chicago Rock Cafe there and walking in Cannock Chase.

:)

I got her from a pet store in Kings Heath Birmingham.

Hello.

Cannock, I know it a little. I've been to the Chicago Rock Cafe there and walking in Cannock Chase.

:)

I got her from a pet store in Kings Heath Birmingham.

Ahh yes we live 1 min away from Cannock Chase :thumb: Its lovely :love:

Shes gorgeous anyway :thumb: Ever need a bun sitter, do give us a shout ;) Not sure she would make it back to yours mind you :lol:

Some buns are fussy about water bottles. I broke my water bottle for one of my buns the other day and he wouldn't use it for a couple of days because I'd replaced it with a different one. I usually provide a bowl as well.

Hi, I'm new on here. Does your bun have a 'Rotastak' drinking bottle? One of my buns had one when I first got him and I was worried as the water level didn't seem to go down at all. I changed it to a 'Classic' bunny bottle and he was drinking much more straight away. When I tested them both by tapping my finger on the spout, I found that the water came out much faster from the Classic.

Hi there Paul

What a beautiful little bun you have there! She's so pretty! :love:

I think once Button knows where to get her water from she should be ok. ;)

Its been trial and error with bottles since I got my bunnies. Lola likes the Hopewell bottles, Lucy likes a bowl.

Back