• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Santa's snuffles (warning graphic pic)

Santa

Wise Old Thumper
*sighs* I don't know what to do any more :?

Santa has been on antibiotics pretty much since February for her snuffles. She's been doing absolutely brilliantly on the metronidazole, everything seemed to have cleared up brilliantly.

Took her off them last week, and hey presto, it's straight back. Here she is this morning after a monster sneezing fit.

DSC00230.jpg

It's less than a week since the antibiotics finished and she's already back like this. After wondering a few days ago whether there might be some allergy there, I'm pretty sure after seeing this, that it's infection not allergy.

We know from x-rays that she has overgrown tooth roots (due to the shape of her face it's molars not incisors causing the problems) and because it's so deeply embedded in her tiny nasal passages we have never managed to get a good culture.

Is there anything more I can do for her or does it look like it might have to be a case of permanent antibiotics? She seems fine and happy in herself when she's not having a sneezing fit, although she does get somewhat distressed when she has a sneezy fit - and she also gets distressed at lots of handling to medicate her. She's about 6 now.

I have another vets appointment this afternoon.

Answers on a postcard? :?

Last edited:
Have you tried abx applied directly into the nasal passages ?
I have seen good results using Tiacil in this way.

XX

Will she not eat the antibiotics off food. Daisy has the metro on banana and Baytril on pellets. She has been on both since October.

Thanks Jane I forgot about that - I have done ages ago but not recently I must admit. She didn't take to it very well, but then she doesn't take to 'not being able to breathe' very well either so maybe it's something to revisit.

Are there any antibiotics that can be used in a nebuliser - would tiacil work this way? I know about F10 but when we talked about it previously my vet was not too keen as she says that disinfectants work by disrupting the cell structure and therefore she would prefer to use something a little more selective!

Raine - she sometimes will but she's a wily little monkey and she won't eat it in my timing, only in hers, and sometimes not at all :? It's reassuring to hear about bunnies that are doing ok on metronidazole for long periods of time though, so thanks for that.

I wish I could remember the antibiotic I've used in a nebuliser for a piggy before... Sorry, not much help there but maybe it will come to me. :?

Bless her, i have no advice but just wanted to send Santa some none sneezy vibes and crossed fingers that you can find a solution xx

YOu need to tell you what's her diet like, especially the week when she is off the ABX.

Bernie has the same problem, we try 3 different ABX (enro., Pen. G and 1 other ABX). No change. Then supposedly as a last course of action, is what Jane suggested, using Enro. in a gaseous form to let Bernie breathe the air.

I never pick that option. In the end, it's allergy.

No advice I'm afraid as I am new to all this, and am yet to encounter any problems, bust wanted to send Santa big hugs xxx

Poor baby :( If you nebulise you can use the Baytril direct into the neb - otherwise she could be like Chewy, he has to stay on the meds for life as each time I take him off it, it's back with a vengance :(

I also put a little bit of vapour rub up their noses with a cotton bud :)

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone :)

Santa is going in for the day tomorrow for observation and a tear duct flush - she has so much pus in there that it's hard for her to breathe sometimes so Simone thinks a flush might be worth a go to try and clear it a bit, remove some of the pus and get some antibiotic right into those passages. They're also going to keep her under close obs for the day to see whether she continues to have the big sneezy fits in the clinic - to try and assess whether there might be some element of allergy making things worse. So we'll wait and see what tomorrow brings...

poor santa :( i'm new to the forum but have spent ages learning new stuff from everyone here. hope everything goes ok x x

Back