• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eek - Tod's neuter ......

Doghouse135

Mama Doe
Tod went in for his neuter today. They asked me to call at 2.00pm to check how he's getting on.

I've just rung and they've said he's taking longer to 'get with it' after the anaesthetic so they're monitoring him and he should be ready anytime after 4.30pm.

He's got food and hay with him that I took down there but he's not yet eaten :shock:

Want to get my baby home :cry:

Aww i'm sure he'll be fine, the same happened to me when Peanut was neutered he took along time to come round from the anathestic and I was panic stricken but he was fine and is now a little terror! :D

I wouldn't worry that he's not eaten yet, that's quite normal after any operation :) I doubt you'd fancy tucking in to a slap-up meal straight away if you'd been in hospital for an op :) The fact that they think he'll be ready to come home after 4.30 is a good sign, they can't be that worried about him! All bunnies are different and some do take a little longer to 'come round' than ohters.

When he's home just leave him somewhere warm, dimly lit and quiet, with a bowl of water and some of his favourite foods, and just leave him to sulk, sleep and recover in peace. The more you fret and try and force foods at him, the worse you can make him at this stage. If he's still not eating and pooping tomorrow morning, then you're allowed to worry!

Ok thanks - I will repeat to myself I must not worry, I must not worry - Sorry it's just not working :lol:

I've got his cage all set up ready for when he comes home and I'll make sure he's left in peace.

I'm sure you're right and he'll be back to normal tomorrow. You just feel a lot more reassured when they're home don't you ?

He's home :wave:

He's still very very dopey bless him but he's had a very long drink at the water bowl - he was gasping. He's tried to eat some hay but he keeps falling asleep while he's eating it.

He's licking at his op site quite a bit which I suppose is normal.

Just glad he's home

He sounds like he's doing great. I'm so glad your buddy is ok! :)

I would discourage him licking the wound though. It's best that he leave it alone, so just try and distract him with something else when he does that, because when you tell a rabbit not to do something, it's practically guaranteed that he will do. :lol: Just tempt him with more hay or fresh veggies and keep him relaxed.

He seems to be doing well thanks.

He's passed a poo and promptly ate it again !! He's also nibbling on a couple of rocket leaves. In between eating, drinking and sleeping he's trying to groom himself.

Bless him though cos he's still really trying hard to stay awake - he's REALLY dopey. He must get a little twinge every so often as he jumps as though someone stuck a pin in his bum :(

I keep trying to distract him from licking and nibbling at his 'bits' but as soon as I move, he starts again. Not sure if it's better or worse that they've not used stitches but surgical glue :?

I'm sure he'll be back to his old self tomorrow.

My two bunnies have had their ops doing so I'm keeping a close eye on them too. My female seems more alert than my male, but both have eaten hay and water. My female bunny has passed urine, but haven't seen any poops yet from either of them. Worrying stuff this, isn't it?

I know - it's a nightmare - I'm hoping that when I get up in the morning (if I go to bed - I think I might sleep on the sofa :lol:), he'll be back to his normal cheeky self.

Thankfully, Trixie was spayed before we collected her from the rescue. I don't think I could go through it with both of them :shock:

Back