• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my male rabbits is pregnant (he is a she ) update bit worried

elijahfan

Young Bun
we don't let any of our rabbits share a run as its now always supervised so i have a divide and i have 2 out at a time same sex, well we bought coffee at christmas told he was a he, well whilst out in the run troy got under the device i didn't react as i know males sometimes mount males as a friendship thing or power,

i then thought i would re sex toffee just to double check, only to discover the behavior was due to mating not power, this was 3 weeks ago last thursday

i feel awful not checking before letting them out and i thought the divided would hold troy, i know that there are loads of rabbits needing homes with out me adding i am really sorry, i have wished she isnt but it looks like she is as she is nesting

advice would be great i have a few questions

what do i do with dead or deformed babies esp the deformed if any esp if alive ? what do i do if she rejects any should i prepare for this ? do the babies need a vet check before i decide to sell any ? (not sure i will do this yet)

any other help would be great i am looking for hutches as we speak,

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me don't worry it's NOT your fault! although you really should have them casterated, but I had two "boys" and seperated them once fighting starteed....turned out the fighting only started because he knew she was pregnant :shock:
Anyways my bun had six kits so expect about that much, it could be 4-9 I think is the range. Give her nesting material when she gets about four weeks (takes a month to give birth) so she doesnt rip out her fur (something else I had to endure lol) After she gives birth (about a day after) take her out for a bit and check on the kits to check for any dead ones (mine all survived and they were inbred if this makes you feel any better) and remove them :( Buns make excellent mothers though just let her do her thing when they get there hope this helps :wave:

Did you get the rabbits from a pet shop or breeder. I would make a complaint to however you got them from and try to get some sort of compensation.

hiya
can i do that ? i will dig out the guys email, he was giving them away so i kinda rescued him, so if he ashamed it was he it could have been a mistake, troy was 100 % male bought from a breeder and close friend who is always round she trims claws an helps me out, she said she would come over and check mummy, she is already nesting with hay and fur, she appears to be trying to make 2 ? where she uses the toilet she keeps digging it up i have about a week to go im a bit nervous to be honest

Don't be nervous. Buns pull their fur out to make nests for babies, that's completely normal. No material you give her for this will stop her as her fur is the best nest they could have :)

She'll start doing this feverishly a few hours before she gives birth and may appear agitated. I'm assuming that you've separated her from all other buns, male or female - if not, you need to do this. She needs her own space in her own hutch to birth and care for her babies.

If all goes according to plan you won't need to do much at all. Just check the babies twice a day. BEFORE you touch them you MUST rub your hands through mum's litter or she may reject them. Sounds yucky but that's just the way it is. Best not to touch them though if at all possible.

You'll probably not see her feed them or spend that much time with them. This too is normal. To protect them from predators mum buns don't hang around the nest and only feed the kits once, sometimes twice a day. When you check them you'll know if she's feeding them because their bellies will be warm, round and pink.

On a sad note, if there are any dead kits you need to remove them asap as their cold bodies will make the remaining kits cold and they too could die.

You've got a few days to prepare it sounds like. Don't get stressed, just go with the flow. You'll get lots of support on here.

Please keep us posted! Good luck!

her mood has really chnaged today :cry:she normally is happy for storkes but she kept moving a away she just didint want me :cry:, she will normally nudge my nose when i out my head in and will let me lAay my hands on her stroke her, all i could do was feed,

she lives on her own all the rabbits do, she hasnt seemed to do much more to her nest at all, she seems more hungry is it posible she could go less than 31 days becuase i think she is fed up now, rubbing hands in pooh is fine with me, talking of which i noticed one or 2 droppings in her nest should i remove thease ? i dont want to clean her cage as it might upset her

i have been out to check on toffe this morning, she has a tiny bit of dark stuff near her mouth, now i know yesterday she was eating pooh (i find it gross wen they do that) , could it be this or could she have aborted the babies? her nest is still there seems to be abit more furinit, should i have a look under hay and stuff to see if she has had the babies? i might be over reacting but i am soo worried she was more layed back with me today,her belly still feels firm

should i be worried? would it be safe to carry her to the run so she can have a run i can have a snoop or will this make her worse? she has been in the run for ages as i cant pick her up to put her in there :( i feel awfull

It sounds to me like she's had the babies and the stuff you saw on her mouth was the placenta.

Are you able to have a look while she's in there? Could you distract her with her favourite treat (it's not surprising that she seems hungrier than usual by the way) and sneak a quick look?

I wouldn't move her just yet, if she's just given birth she'll be exhausted and sore, she needs to rest.

Let us know how you get on, I'm thinking of you!!

i have checked the nest there si nothing there, i looked later this evening and she appears to have flattend some of it ? i am so wooried they gave been amandoned or our dead, she isnt due till monday coming so maybe she is just getting ready ? i might take her to the vet see if she is still pregnant

I would say a week to go is too early to make a nest , if she is pregnant i would leave well alone if you go in too much and put your smell in her nest she could eat the babies . Try to be calm and just let nature take its course ;) good luck x

i tryed to have a god rummage this morning,i rubed my hand in her pooh (toke me loads of washes to get the smell out) she is just more hungry

i dont know if i should clean the nest area as there is fur in there but allso i noticed pooh? what will the babies look like as i havent a clue what to exspect

I agree, don't move her now, let her manage and just keep an eye on her, you can call the vet and explain him what you notice about her condition etc

This is where conflicting advise is given to PET owners , i agree breeders do things different and learn wether their doe will be ok with all the interfeirance but most pet owners might only ever have the one litter by mistake and just need to know the basics to get the babies born alive and healthy . I wont have anything on my concience as to the advise given if this doe eatss her babies . I hope all is well and good luck with them if and when they are born x

she has made her nest in the den area, its getting higher lol would it help if i toke a picture ? i clean out the main bit i am just so worried i think toffee is more relaxed than i am lol

Back