• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello! Bunny questions!

Melonhead

New Kit
Hi there -

Until recently we kept ducks and a chicken (the chicken just turned up at the house one day and seemed very happy with the ducks!) Sadly one of the ducks died of old age, so we re-homed the duck and chicken.

So that left us with an enclosure, and duck house (converted wendy house) and we've decided to get some rabbits - We've found a couple of little beautiful bunnies at a local rescue centre, and they're coming round in the week to 'inspect us' for suitability.

So my first questions - How high can they jump? The garden itself is secure, and the enclosure it surrounded by a small picket fence with chickenwire securing all the holes. It's around a couple of feet high, will that be enough to 'contain' them?

Also how do they get on with ponds? It's in the enclosure, but currently fenced off on the request of the rescue centre. Are they likely to fall in or are they savvy enough to keep out?

Finally, how do they get on with cat-flaps? Just thought it would make them feel more secure if they've only got a small entrance/exit to the house than leaving the door open.

I'm looking forward to making the house and enclosure into a playground for them!

They can jump pretty high. One of mine jumped up on my computer chair once. :lol: 2 feet is nothing.
I'd recommend putting some kind of roof over the run to prevent them from jumping out, and to keep predators like cats (rarely dangerous to adult rabbits but it could happen) and hawks out of the run.

Not sure about the pond...

Catflaps would be fine I guess... if they figure out how to work them.

Hi there -

Until recently we kept ducks and a chicken (the chicken just turned up at the house one day and seemed very happy with the ducks!) Sadly one of the ducks died of old age, so we re-homed the duck and chicken.

So that left us with an enclosure, and duck house (converted wendy house) and we've decided to get some rabbits - We've found a couple of little beautiful bunnies at a local rescue centre, and they're coming round in the week to 'inspect us' for suitability.

So my first questions - How high can they jump? Up to 4 feet on average, though more has been reportedThe garden itself is secure, and the enclosure it surrounded by a small picket fence with chickenwire securing all the holes. It's around a couple of feet high, will that be enough to 'contain' them? Im afraid it won't and chicken wire is not strong enough either, as it can easily be chewed through by buns and predators, i would use galvanised steel mesh

Also how do they get on with ponds? It's in the enclosure, but currently fenced off on the request of the rescue centre. Are they likely to fall in or are they savvy enough to keep out? I wouldn't take the risk and would make sure it is permanantely unaccessible.

Finally, how do they get on with cat-flaps? Just thought it would make them feel more secure if they've only got a small entrance/exit to the house than leaving the door open. Cat flaps are fine, many members on here use them :D

I'm looking forward to making the house and enclosure into a playground for them!

Answered above :D

Cheers for the answers - Will have to work out a way of raising the fence as it's too big to be covered without spending a fortune on mesh/wood, it's about 9x5metres.

I may end up doing a run within the enclosure then, it just seems a shame as I'd really like them to have a big area to play in.

Back