• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

red eyed rabbit

hhawthorn

New Kit
Hi there, I have a 10wk old netherland dward rabbit - He is quite shy, but keeps swaying his head from side to side while watching us. Other rabbits I have had have not done this. I read that it is common with red-eyed rabbits, which he is, but I also read that red-eyed rabbits are white but mine is dark brown!

Is there anything I should be aware of with a red-eyed rabbit, and as the head thing normal? Thanks.

My boy Sky is white and grey/black with reddish eyes and he sways his head. I think its to help them focus better but not too sure.
Ive not had any problems with him so far *crosses fingers*so i think they are just like every other bunny :D:wave:

Hi there.

I have just fostered a large group of mixed coloured lop rabbits and two of them were white with red eyes, the rest were various colours but all certainly have the red eyed gene as they all 'scan'. It is to help them focus on things and is quite normal. Nothing to worry about and your bunny should have a full and happy life. Some bunnies with this kind of eye, might have a tendency to be more nervous than the average bun as they don't see so well if startled (no time to do the scanning). Does your bunny have a friend? This can often help as the bunnies take confidence from each other.

Helen:D

My Lucygirl is a rew but she's totally blind so she can't "scan" at all so the head way isn't an issue. She is skittish, as you'd expect but is getting used to me gently moving the door of her crate, that's how she knows I'm there :)

A friend of mine had a rew that did it though and he was a perfectly happy, healthy bun. Don't worry.

Yes it just means their eyesight is a bit poor. It's nothing to worry about but I would try to avoid having lots of small or awkward things that will get in their way and make it hard to navigate.

Back