• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

More Advice Please

scatter

Alpha Buck
I posted on here a couple of weeks ago as my bunny Daisy (9 years old) had lost the use of her left back leg. Vet (who is very good with rabbits) wasn't totally sure, but wanted to treat her for E.Cuni just in case and she started (and is still on Panacur), Metacam and Baytril (she was previously on baytril anyway).

She has shown no improvement in her rear leg - I try to ensure she uses it by holding her gently and letting her hop along (she can't to this by herself). Other than this she is quite bright. She will not eat her dried food (which is usual for her if anything happens to her) and hasn't done for two weeks - I have been syringing her regularly and she will eat any amount of dandelion leaves on her own.

I have to go back to vet on Wednesday and I'm worried that he will see there is little 'hope' for her. Daisy may give up on her own, but I won't give up on her if she stays as she is as she seems happy and bright and is interested in what's going on around her and doesn't seem to mind all the mini-baths, syringing, etc. Has anybody got any advice on living with a disabled rabbit. Am I being cruel in trying to maintain her?

Sorry to hear this about your bunny. Don't give up hope as there are lots of people with disabled bunnies and they can live a happy and more or less normal life. Let us know how you get on at the vets.

Its sounds like you are a lovely caring bunny mummy.If her leg doesnt improve and you think her quality of live is still good maybe it would be an idea into looking at the carts you can get to take the weight of her back end

Its sounds like you are a lovely caring bunny mummy.If her leg doesnt improve and you think her quality of live is still good maybe it would be an idea into looking at the carts you can get to take the weight of her back end

thank you - I do try my best!! I have seen those carts and would definitely consider one if I thought it would give her a bit of exercise.

I would deffo get xrays done first before ordering a cart just in case there a break or something that could be made worse by putting the bun into the cart :)

You are doing all you can for Daisy and she will love you for it :)

You are not pushing her, while she is still bright and alert, and eating and drinking then she will be fine :) It may not be Ec and could be any number of things but a conscious x-ray would really help here. It could be arthritis and she could go on a course of Rimadyl to help her.

Make sure that you gently massage the leg to keep the blood flow going and this will also help the muscles in that leg. Gentle physio as well:D

Believe me, the amount of buns we have had that are not on their back legs or have lost use of one is quite a lot, and they have all adapted and been happy and loved:love:

The very best of luck with her - she sounds as though she has a great mum:D

You are doing all you can for Daisy and she will love you for it :)

You are not pushing her, while she is still bright and alert, and eating and drinking then she will be fine :) It may not be Ec and could be any number of things but a conscious x-ray would really help here. It could be arthritis and she could go on a course of Rimadyl to help her.

Make sure that you gently massage the leg to keep the blood flow going and this will also help the muscles in that leg. Gentle physio as well:D

Believe me, the amount of buns we have had that are not on their back legs or have lost use of one is quite a lot, and they have all adapted and been happy and loved:love:

The very best of luck with her - she sounds as though she has a great mum:D

Thank you - that is very reassuring. I tend to think it could be arthritis or something similar. I am pleased that I'm not being selfish - she is very loved and I will do everything to ensure she is comfortable and happy - thank you.

Other than this she is quite bright. She will not eat her dried food (which is usual for her if anything happens to her) and hasn't done for two weeks - I have been syringing her regularly and she will eat any amount of dandelion leaves on her own.

that reminds me of my bridge bun Goofball. The symptoms are the same. At the beginning, she won't go to the pellet bowl to eat her dry pellet. And since she doesn't like hay, she didn't eat much on her own.

Then I discover that instead of putting the pellet on a bowl, I simply put them on her favorite spot -- Essentially on the carpet. And since, she had eaten them daily.

So, it's a sign that food which is not her favorite, she won't really hunt for it. But for food like carrots, she'll eat it on her own.

Because of her lack of fiber, and the fact that I need blackberry to kill her bone cancer cells, I forcefeed her blackberry + hay stem mix for just over 1 year. She didn't passed away due to bone cancer, rather, due to an unrelated post-dental complication surgery.

So as long as she's bright, I would try the above. There is a minor maintenance issue as each time she accidentally step on the pellets, I have to put them back on the right spot.

that reminds me of my bridge bun Goofball. The symptoms are the same. At the beginning, she won't go to the pellet bowl to eat her dry pellet. And since she doesn't like hay, she didn't eat much on her own.

Then I discover that instead of putting the pellet on a bowl, I simply put them on her favorite spot -- Essentially on the carpet. And since, she had eaten them daily.

So, it's a sign that food which is not her favorite, she won't really hunt for it. But for food like carrots, she'll eat it on her own.

Because of her lack of fiber, and the fact that I need blackberry to kill her bone cancer cells, I forcefeed her blackberry + hay stem mix for just over 1 year. She didn't passed away due to bone cancer, rather, due to an unrelated post-dental complication surgery.

So as long as she's bright, I would try the above. There is a minor maintenance issue as each time she accidentally step on the pellets, I have to put them back on the right spot.

Sorry about your bun - sounds like you did absolutely everything for her though. I know what you mean about pellets - when Daisy moves around she tends to kick them in different directions and I gather them up again.

Thank you.

Back