• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my rabbit is refusing her pellets

Tempi

New Kit
Hi there,

My rabbit stopped eating her pellets the last three days (and she normally loves her pellets - eating half immediately when she gets it in the evening, saving the other half for during the next day). I have to say that I had to change her pellets brand as the one she normally eats was not available anywhere. I tried two different brands now but she is not touching neither of them.

She is about 4 years old (I adopted her, so the exact age is not known). She is eating hay (although she has never been a big hay eater, but she does eat it) and she is also eating anything fresh (banana, apple, pears, parsley and especially carrots) and her treats - banana chips (but don't worry, they are really limited to her!).

She is outside every night when I am back from work and she is acting pretty normal - running around and also relaxing and lying down. So nothing unusual here - it's just the pellets.
I tried some oatmeal last night and she did eat a LITTLE bit of it, but almost not worth mentioning... :cry:

I am still trying to find her "old" brand but until then, is there anything I can do? Or should I be worried and better see a vet?

Any suggestions?
Thank you all already for your help!

Rabbit stomach CANNOT adjust to change in pellet like that. if you were to change her pellet, you have to do:

Week 1: 70% old pellet + 30% new
Week 2: 50 - 50%
week 3: 30% old pellet + 70% new

it's better that she doesn't eat it. Because a sudden change on pellet can affect their health

By the way, a rabbit's diet should compose of 90% hay, primary the hay stem. The remaining 10% is pellet, fruit, green, treats. So no pellet for 1 week to 10 days is no big deal

If she is only refusing her pellets and it is just after you switched brands then it may be just that. That happened with my previous bunny Chrissy, I could no longer get her brand. I just gave her more hay and fresh greens and she gradually started eating the new pellets. She never did eat as much of the new brand but was fine because she ate more hay and greens. Keep an eye on her eating, pooping and activeness as you are doing and give an update. Hopeful she is fine.

Which brands have you been trying?

There are plenty out there so if she's not keen on one try another in small doses:

Science Selective
Wagg Optimum
Burgess Excel

Back