• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spayed bunny looking rather sick

sam and nala

Alpha Buck
is this normal

i retured nala home after her op this morning and she just flopped over she was wobbly and she looks ill. she looks depressed and i actualy think she looks like shes dieing.:cry:

is she just wobby after the anastetic or should i take her back to the vets

will it take her longer to recover as they told me they found out she was pregnant during the spay and they terminated the babies and continued to spay will she be worse because of this

p.s. will she know that she has lost her babies and will i need to expect her to have depression or will she know no different

Oh dear, she could be recovering but to be on the safe side you should contact your vets for their advice and get them to check her. Is she trying to eat or drink?

Make sure you keep her nice and warm and get plenty of liquid into her if you can.

Someone with more experience should be along shortly.

I hope she will be OK.

Buns look real sad after any op but esp spay as it is such a big op for little bunny. It normally takes good few hours for them to even start waking up enough to think about drink/food you may see her trying but shell prob end up with face half ful and fast a peep.
She will still be groggy prob tomorrow aswell.
I cant help with babies but if they have terminated them then I guess they were only just developing so she may be bit upset but with lots of love and cuddles shell be fine.
If your worried in anyway ring vet, they should have explained everything to you before letting her go! If you have some weetabix then make that with bit warm water and leave it for her its a bit easier to eat when your so sleepy and usually goes down atreat after ops here! May be later tonight though when she eats it.

Did she have a painkiller e.g. metacam?

You may want to go to the shops and buy in lots of herbs e.g parsley, thyme, kale, spinach, spring cabbage etc to try to tempt her to start eating.

You may need to syringe some water and/or food so make sure you have a syringe (you should be able to pick one up from a pharmacy).

:lol: read your mind i think. just after i posted thread i though "oh! i no ill syringe some water in her mouth" haha

they gave her pain killer and a gut stimulant they have gave me some food to syring into her mouth if she is not eating by 6pm

i have syringed roughly 5 syringes full of water/apple juice mix into her mouth with someone suggested to me yesterday. she has perked up slightly she has shuffled herself onto the vet bed i have bought her and as i say looks brighter eyed now having some water but she cannot walk properly she just dragged herself to her bed

Did they also give a gut stimulant.. I have heard that most vets do this automatically now after ops to try and rule out a stasis episode..

I too would phone vet ask about painkiller and gut stimulant - but not sure if it is too stressful taking her back if they suggest you do pop her down..

Others may be able to advise.

I know our doe's have always had a sulk and been quiet but usually are drinking within a couple of hours. A quiet warm room, with a blanket or something soft to lie on (not straw as this irritates stitched area) Have you checked her stitches are ok etc.

Poor love hope she perks up :)

simultaneous post - ignore the gut and painkiller thing!

i have not checked stitches cos she was so freaked out when i brought home that when i put her in the crate she like flopped over and looked dead and then started breathing really fast so i keep popping in her room every 20mins to check and syringe her water but dont really wanna disturb her too much

or do u think i should take a look?

this is my first spay so if people think its the best thing to check i will do cos i have no clue what im doing lol

That was exactly what happened with mine, she was pregnant but we didnt know (Person we got them from told us they were younger than they really were). I spoke to you yesterday and told you one of mine took longer than the other, that was her! Mine struggled to hop and did an akward kind of walk.
Lift her out gently and try to check her stiches. Mine didnt eat more than a little nibble until the saturday morning, i stayed on the sofa on the friday night and set my alarm to go off every hour to try to tempt her, I was so worried. She went to the vet first thing saturday morning where they gave a gut stimulant, a painkiller and some fluids. When we got home she had pooed and then she ate some dandelion.
Just keep trying with her, and if you are really worried phone the vets.

well she has just took the tinyest bite out of a turnip piece but im gonna give her some recovary food once my boyfriend gets in cos shes a moody rabbit and may kick off if there is only me

she is wobbling round her crate tho so she is looking brighter

did your vets ring you to ask if you wanted to save babies or not ?

I had booked my girls in because they had started to fight, on the day I took them in for their spay Samba had made a nest and she bit me when I opened the door so I suspected there was a chance she could be. I told the vet this when I took them in and she said that judging from her size (she was the smallest one) and age, there would be little chance of her and the babies surviving and that if they did she might not make a good mother. She did ask me what i wanted to do if they found babies but I told her to continue with the spay. They did find one baby, which was very sad but I couldnt risk loosing her.

Keep trying with the food, have you got any herbs or dandelions? Or grated apple?

i think what upset me most was that they didnt ask me they just terminated but at least nala survived :)

she has had about 10 syringes of water now and 4 syringes of recovary food which i had to force her to have haha but its better than nothing:D

Yeah, its a shock i suppose. At least you have got some recovery into her. She must be a good girl, it was a nightmare getting it into Samba! Good Luck with the rest of the recovery, let me know how she gets on.

Back