• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor Benjimen

Beatrix5

New Kit
Hi
new to the forum. On 0-01-09 we lost our beloved bunnie Stewie ( family guy ) to a health problem the vet thinks it was bloat but she said he was coming home on the morning he died but took a sudden turn for the worst. We buried him in his favorite spot. We miss him still.
We have 3 rabbits now- Peter, a rescue, is a beige and white Dutch, Dylan also a rescue is a mixed of Netherland Dwarf and something else. Then on a trip to Pets at home we saw Benjimen and fell in love with him so we brought him home he was 8/10 wks old and under weight. two weeks ago we took him for his first jab and our vet said she is 80% sure he has dental desease we are devistated she asked his to wait and see because a growth spurt can be the cause for his uneven teeth so we are, but now i put fly strike on yesterday and 3hrs later has to rush him to the vet because he collapsed i have to ring at 10 this morning uk time. i am now getting so nervous of everyone being sick that its taking the pleasure away from sharing our life with them. we love them so much and would never send them away but i never realsied they were so delicate. i stick to a food regime recommended by Cottontails Rabbit Rescue. Do you experience these problems ??????

Hi
new to the forum. On 0-01-09 we lost our beloved bunnie Stewie ( family guy ) to a health problem the vet thinks it was bloat but she said he was coming home on the morning he died but took a sudden turn for the worst. We buried him in his favorite spot. We miss him still.
We have 3 rabbits now- Peter, a rescue, is a beige and white Dutch, Dylan also a rescue is a mixed of Netherland Dwarf and something else. Then on a trip to Pets at home we saw Benjimen and fell in love with him so we brought him home he was 8/10 wks old and under weight. two weeks ago we took him for his first jab and our vet said she is 80% sure he has dental desease we are devistated she asked his to wait and see because a growth spurt can be the cause for his uneven teeth so we are, but now i put fly strike on yesterday and 3hrs later has to rush him to the vet because he collapsed i have to ring at 10 this morning uk time. i am now getting so nervous of everyone being sick that its taking the pleasure away from sharing our life with them. we love them so much and would never send them away but i never realsied they were so delicate. i stick to a food regime recommended by Cottontails Rabbit Rescue. Do you experience these problems ??????

I am very sorry that you lost Stewie and that Benjimen is now very poorly too :cry:
Rabbits are complex little animals and are catagorised as 'Exotics' for a very good reason. Their health needs are very different to other domestic Pets and because they are prey animals they hide signs of illness until it has become very serious.

Over the years I have loved and lost many Rabbit friends. Each loss hurts so much. But the joy caring for Rabbits brings me means that I will continue to have them as my companions in the full knowledge that I will have to endure the pain each loss brings. IMO it is a price well worth paying for the privilege of sharing some time with the most wonderful animals on our planet.

I hope that you will receive some good news about Benjimen this morning.
Please keep us updated

xx

Thank you so much for your kind reply. The other two are now in the their part of the garden running around doing binky everywhere i have lots of house work to do but i am drawn to the garden to be with them. I just hope that my ben will be ok. i cant wait for 10am to come because i am desperate to find out some news.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your kind reply. The other two are now in the their part of the garden running around doing binky everywhere i have lots of house work to do but i am drawn to the garden to be with them. I just hope that my ben will be ok. i cant wait for 10am to come because i am desperate to find out some news.

It sounds as though your other two Buns are very happy :)
Hopefully Benjimen will soon be back home with you.

Back