• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poo!! Cabbage?

Marreline

Warren Scout
Can excess cabbage cause poo issues in rabbits?! My rabbits were always in fantastic health but since cutting down on other veg (was feeding apple and carrot daily and believe this is not advisable...though they never had any issues when on that diet!) and replacing with cabbage and Burns hay I've noticed an increasing number of soft poos around the hutch and run, and on the rabbits themselves - stuck in to the fur. Very tricky to clean off (both scrabble fiercely to get away) and worried as the fly season is almost upon us. Do you think a trip to the vet is advisable?

:roll:

was the change done gradually ... any change is bad if it is done immediately and i think cabbage can cause upset with poos and also i found carrot does as well,,, although bunnies are different,,,,i give mine romaine lettuce, green pepper, broccoli, watercress and celery but this was done gradually and over a long time but have had no problems with them,, also what pellets do u give .. do they eat lots of hay and grass.... if they stop eating adn not many poos or too runny then yeah tkae to the vets but any quick change is almost certainly gonna cause upset the bun needs to be used to one veg before u give another

Yes, did change over gradually. Just can't fathom what's going on. They both eat a lot of hay and love the Burns stuff - although I only give a handful mrning and night. They graze on grass and other plants when having free range time (couple of hours per day if weather good enough). They are currently on Excel pellets - one egg cup to share morning and night - but have Excel Lite in the cupboard and will gradually change over to this in the next few weeks. They've been on Excel since being babies and neve had any poo problems but am going to swap on to Lite as it's worth a try. How does all this sound?

Cabbage can give some of our rabbits runny bottoms so I have to put signs on some enclosures saying 'no cabbage'. I'd leave out the cabbage and poo should return to normal without a trip to the vets. If poo gets like water then definitely go to vets but soft poo should get better when cabbage is taken out of the diet. Rabbits here who get soft poo get no veg for a few days, just lots of hay and some dried food.

Thanks! So can I just stop fresh food - just like that? And should I also stop the Burns Green Oat stuff? Or is this as good for them as normal hay? :?

Pretty sure it will be the cabbage causing the soft poo. You could just try taking the cabbage out of the diet as a first step and problem will probably clear up. Just keep an eye on your buns bottom and keep it clean.

hmmm it sounds as though u are doing all the right stuff ... but i dont like to give cabbage so stop fro a bit then intorduce something else maybe .... also excel can cause this bum problem .. i changed mine from excel to bunny basics t from oxbow but there are lots of others whcih various members use i noticed, if ur not happy to to the vet . it sounds as though ur flumoxed

I never give cabbage as it can cause lethal gas problems due to fermentations.. Occasionally I give a little flower of Brocoli which is more digestable than ordinary cabbages leaves... Some rabbits tolerate cabbage more than others so in the doubt it's often best not to give..any

Back