• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent help

Jazmine

New Kit
i had a rabbit dumped on my doorstep, ive now had her a few weeks, however i have never had a rabbit before. i bought a cage and have been keeping her indoors. however she has taken over my bedroom. she is weeing and pooing everywhere- which is exceptable. however ive cornered her a bit of my room and she is hating it. i dont know what to do. i would like to keep her but dont see it working. any advice?

If you have a cage then you should keep her in there while she gets the hang of litter training. Everytime she poos anywhere in her cage pick them up and place them inher tray. If she wees soak it up with kitchen roll and put the wet kitchen roll in the tray too. Once she has got the hang of it in her cage then start extending her area slowly so that she returns to the cage to go. if you put a hay rack above the tray it might tempt her to use it, bunnies tend to eat and poo at the same time!

ETA If she isnt speyed she may also be marking her territory in which case having her neutered should help.

If you have a cage then you should keep her in there while she gets the hang of litter training. Everytime she poos anywhere in her cage pick them up and place them inher tray. If she wees soak it up with kitchen roll and put the wet kitchen roll in the tray too. Once she has got the hang of it in her cage then start extending her area slowly so that she returns to the cage to go. if you put a hay rack above the tray it might tempt her to use it, bunnies tend to eat and poo at the same time!

ETA If she isnt speyed she may also be marking her territory in which case having her neutered should help.

I agree. Spaying will also prevent her from getting uterine cancer in the future. Also, consider adding hay in her litter tray.
If you keep her indoors don't forget to bunny proof the room(s) she has access to; you don't want her chewing any wires.

I agree with rachie as well. As well as adding hay to the litter tray, you might also want to make sure the tray is low enough to the ground. Is she a small or young rabbit? Try to make the litter training process as easy as possible for her.

I will try that :D thanks.
she is a young rabbit i think, she is small.
How much is neutering? im on a tight budget and cant afford much.
ive done all the wires, she doesnt seem too fussed about them anyway.
how should it be layed out?
currently,
there is a small cage in the corner of my rooom with my carpet covered in plastic. her litter tray in is the cage. im using newspaper and woodshavings. she has a small like box thing for her to jump in and out. however where she is weeing on the floor, she is splashing about in it, and making her messy underneath.
how much food should be getting? should she have like a cushion or something to sleep in.
sorry for all the questions.

I wouldnt use wood shavings as they are not meant to be great for bunnies chests. I use P@H wood pellet cat litter in the litter tray (line it with newspaper first to make it easier to clean) and then fill half with hay. Then have a hay rack above the tray as well. One the floor of the cage I would just use some newspapers.

Strawberry has a soft cat bed but he tends to sleep anywhere!

ETA Neutering costs can vary hugely, within 3 miles where I live it goes from £55 for a female up to £150! If you post where abouts in the country you are someone may be able to suggest a good vet.

She should have unlimited amount of hay always available, some vegetables and some good quality pellets, such as Excel or Science Selective. If she is not used to vegetables, introduce them slowly. In fact, any change in her diet should be done gradually.

Just because she is a small rabbit, it doesn't necessarily mean she is immature. You should get her to see a vet for a check up and vaccinations: she will need to be vaccinated every six months against myxomatosis and once a year against VHD. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. People here are willing to help. Good luck with your new girl.

Thanks rachie :D
god thats expensive. what if i cant afford it? do you think its better to give her to a rescue as i dont think i can provide well enough for her? i dont want her to be unhappy.but doesnt seem she will be happy with me. :(

oh right, i have only been givin her small bits off hay :S she is eating excel, she has a few veg throughout the day. she has toys but she isnt really interested. she only goes in her tube if i hide veg in there.. how much are injections? are they essential even if shes indoors?

I dont want to put you off but just so that you are aware of the costs if a bunny gets ill;

My graham looked a bit peaky the other week so took him for a check up, his poos had got really small and he didnt look himself. He had to see a vet on the thursday then we took him back friday when he needed an xray of his tummy and a GA. He sadly passed away after never coming round from the GA properly. The total vets bill was £290. There was no signs he was ill before so couldnt have saved up for it, he didnt need an emergency treatment, this was all just standard vets treatment.

A poorly bunny can cost hundreds in vets treatment and it all happens so quickly. If you really struggle finacially then I would have a good think about it. I am by no means well off and everything is a squeeze, but i know if Straws needed a few hundred I could find it.

Vacinations are essentional- if you do vaccinate then you could get insurance to cover the vets bills (I am sure they will only insure if u vaccinate). I pay £7 a month for Strawbs and the excess is £50. It covers most things so could be somethine for u to think about.

i really dont know alot about rabbits. i had no idea about injections for them. well i dont think i could find that sort of money if she was to get ill. im still at college and only have a part time job. is rehoming for the best?? shes such a lovely little thing, (i dont know thats shes a girl, but shes very pretty so i assume so haha) id be sad to see her go

Has she seen a vet since you got her? It is reallly important that you take her for a check up to make sure she is heathly. She should have her teeth and nails checked at the very least. The vet will also be able to sex her for you.

If you get her insured then its not too bad but you would still need to be able to pay the excess (usually about £50) plus any condition that it doesnt cover.

Where abouts in the country do you live? If you cant afford a vet at the minute there might be an RU'er that would be able to come round and just help you check her front teeth and nails.

Only you can decide if rehoming will be in the best interest of the bunny. If you decide to rehome her, please approach a rescue centre or you can pm SOAD, one of the members of this forum and your bunny will be advertised in the 'Rabbits in need' section.

no she has seemed healthy. but i will try get her checked out.
i dont know what to do with her. she isnt happy, she keeps trying to get out of wherre she is and its not practical. my bedroom is a mess now as ive had to move furniture to try block her in.

Only you can decide if rehoming will be in the best interest of the bunny. If you decide to rehome her, please approach a rescue centre or you can pm SOAD, one of the members of this forum and your bunny will be advertised in the 'Rabbits in need' section.

i would love to keep her, ive spent enough paying for cage and things, over £100, but it just isnt practical. i had to use money saved for my car but if she gets ill i will never be able to afford it, and with these injections and neutering.

i would love to keep her, ive spent enough paying for cage and things, over £100, but it just isnt practical. i had to use money saved for my car but if she gets ill i will never be able to afford it, and with these injections and neutering.

I know it is a very hard decision to make. :( You care about her so much. As Rachie said, it will be easier to deal with the financial cost of possible illness if you get her insured. It costs about £10 a month to get her insured. As for the vaccinations, you can call some vets in your area and make inquiries. I really hope you can keep her.

well insuring doesnt sound like its goin to break the bank, so its a possibility. i would really love to keep her, shes lovely, friendly, and just gorgeous, but its causing problems, she is takin over my bedroom. if i could solve this and get her insured then maybe i could keep her, but its hard work. any solutions except rehoming.

Back