• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help Please

scatter

Alpha Buck
Aplogies. I haven't been on here for a while - Advice needed.

My 9 year old female has been on baytril for a couple of months and is also currently on depicilin injections.

However, last night I began to notice a weakness in her rear hind leg and now tonight she can hardly walk at all, which is very upsetting as you can imagine. She has eaten okay until about lunch time today and is pooping. I have some syringe food which I will give her soon but I was wondering if anybody has any advice how I can make her comfortable overnight until I can ring the vet first thing tomorrow.

Thanks, I'm so worried

What is she on Baytril and Depocillin for?
Is she also on an anti-inflammatory eg Metacam?

She actually was on baytril because the vet felt the beginnings of an abcess on her mouth (she has previously had 3 in the same place in the past) and the depicillin just this last two weeks because she had a dodgy tooth and because of her age, vet wanted to see if that would work before having to give her anaesthetic. She has been on metacam for 4 days as she went off her food slightly (which he thought was connected with the tooth), but has been eating okay since?

Apart from keeping her warm, clean and comfortable and making sure she can reach her food and water there is not much more you can do til you get her to a Vet. At least she has had some Metacam so hopefully she wont be in too much discomfort.
Try to make sure she does not have to struggle to reach her food/water as the sudden inability for her to use her back end may panic her.
She will need to be lying on towels or Vetbed as hay/straw may get tangled around her back legs.

I would try to keep her as still as possible incase she has injured her spine.
Although from what you have described it doesn't sound like an injury.
Please let us know how she gets on at the Vets.

Apart from keeping her warm, clean and comfortable and making sure she can reach her food and water there is not much more you can do til you get her to a Vet. At least she has had some Metacam so hopefully she wont be in too much discomfort.
Try to make sure she does not have to struggle to reach her food/water as the sudden inability for her to use her back end may panic her.
She will need to be lying on towels or Vetbed as hay/straw may get tangled around her back legs.

I would try to keep her as still as possible incase she has injured her spine.
Although from what you have described it doesn't sound like an injury.
Please let us know how she gets on at the Vets.

Thank you very much for the advice - particularly as I hadn't thought about the hay - I will just leave enough for her to eat and put a towel in - thanks again. Will let you know.

Has the vet talked about Panacur at all? You might say you heard about E.C. and was wondering if it could be related and see what he says. Does he seem like a vet who knows about rabbits?

Has the vet talked about Panacur at all? You might say you heard about E.C. and was wondering if it could be related and see what he says. Does he seem like a vet who knows about rabbits?

Hi, yes he is a very rabbit-friendly vet. I spoke to him first thing this morning and he thought it sounded like E. Cuni - he said he would have to have a look at her first, but would start treating her for this with Panacur as you mention. He is ringing me later. Do you know what the prognosis is for E. Cuni?

If it is caused by EC then the Panacur should stop it getting worse. It can't reverse any damage already caused though so you will just have to wait and see how well she recovers. :?

Hi Scatter
How is your bun doing this morning ????
I saw your post on my thread for Jessie and wondered how she is doing.
My vet said that only after about 4 weeks on Panacur will we see the extent of the damage to Jessie.
It is very distressing to watch her struggle all the time but we will keep going.
Sorry i cant be more helpful to you but this is the first time i have gone through this and am learning something new everyday.

Hi Scatter
How is your bun doing this morning ????
I saw your post on my thread for Jessie and wondered how she is doing.
My vet said that only after about 4 weeks on Panacur will we see the extent of the damage to Jessie.
It is very distressing to watch her struggle all the time but we will keep going.
Sorry i cant be more helpful to you but this is the first time i have gone through this and am learning something new everyday.

Hi, Daisy was at the vet's this morning and he started her on Panacur, she is also on baytril and metacam. I know what you mean - it's horrible to see her struggling, although she does seem to be slightly more 'used to it' today and is in a sitting position a lot of the time rather than lying on her side. She is not eating as much as usual, so I'm syringing food into her aswell. However, she will eat dandelion leaves and cabbage.

Hi, if anybody has experience of this - Daisy is able to move around by 'pulling' herself almost. She is bright enough in herself but she does occasionally fall over. She has been on Panacur since Monday.

My bridge bun Goofball had her leg removed due to bone cancer. It takes weeks for her to get used to. So it's difficult for both of us to go thru at the beginning. After that, she lives just over 1 year before a dental surgery post-complication got to her. So as long as you get thru the initial difficulty, you bun can get run just as fast as a 4 leg bun

My bridge bun Goofball had her leg removed due to bone cancer. It takes weeks for her to get used to. So it's difficult for both of us to go thru at the beginning. After that, she lives just over 1 year before a dental surgery post-complication got to her. So as long as you get thru the initial difficulty, you bun can get run just as fast as a 4 leg bun

Thank you x

Back