• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

treatment for mites

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
bisc and matt finished a six week treatment of xeno 450 for mites a week ago...and now they're scratching again so it looks like they've got them again!

i can't see any but bisc has dandruff on his shoulders and neck again and he had this last time. he hasn't got as much as last time though.

i;m going to treat them again with the xeno 450, but i wanted to know what i can treat my carpet with? could i use the johnsons insecticidal spray on the carpets and floors etc?

the buns have a nic cage but i've not got the base yet so they are on the carpet with blankets on top. i'm waiting for the base to arrive, it's plywood and lino tiles so this will be easier to clean and treat in advance, but i really need to treat the carpet.

can someone tell me if the johnsons insecticidal spray is ok for this, or if there is something better which is safe.

thanks.

forgot to say, the buns are at the vets on thursday for their myxi boosters so should i ask the vet to give them an injection for mites instead?

also, can they have the injection with the treatment they are on now? they are on metacam and penicillin injections at the minute.

thanks.

:wave: What are they on penicillin/metacam for at the moment?

I'd be inclined to ring your vets and ask if it's ok to give them a mite treatment at the moment. I often ring my vet with questions and it's not a problem, I think they'd prefer you checked than went ahead and did things that may not be appropriate.

It may be that if they are poorly, they may not be able to have their myxo jabs this week anyway, they must be in good health at the time of the vaccine for it to work properly.

They're on metacam as an anti-inflammatry and penicillin injections for snuffles.

the vet i need to ask is away for a couple of weeks so i'm going to the local vets (can't wait...:roll:)

They're on the snuffles treatment for 3 months initially so what do i do about the myxi and vhd jabs? i don't really want to risk them not having them. will they not be effective at all if buns are on other treatment?

buns are ok, doing better. they've been on the treatment for about 3 weeks now.

let me know what you think.

there's also 'acclaim' that i've read about aswell. would this be ok for use on the carpet?

the buns have a nic cage, is it safe to spray the whole cage, as in the bars?

if everything is left to dry and air then shoud it be ok?

i don't know how long it would take the carpet to dry though.

even though no-one is answering i'm carrying on...:lol:

right, i've just ordered some products from gorgeous guineas to treat the house and buns cage with!

i got buzz off, bugs be gone and the neem gel (to soothe their skin)

i've emailed the vets to ask if they can have another course of xeno 450 spot on and whether they can have their myxi booster this week if they're ill etc etc...

so that's the update so far!

if anyone has any advice then let me know...:)

Back